Magnetic force direction on a positive and negative charges

In summary, the question asks about the path of the electron. The Attempt at a Solution states that if it is an electron, the left hand rule should be followed.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

The question askes about the path of the electron. I need to know if I am doing it correctly whether it was asked for a proton or an electron.

Homework Equations

F=QV⊥Bsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered it C. Because it is an electron, I used my left hand. My thumb points to the right and my other fingers pointing into the page, so the force points to the bottom of the page. Thus, the electron’s will be as illustrated in choice C. If that was a proton, it will be the other way around, like in B. Am I right?

Attachments

• D164161B-D704-4A1E-84BB-C72DA7FDC5B2.jpeg
    D164161B-D704-4A1E-84BB-C72DA7FDC5B2.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer C is correct, but I always use the "Right Hand Rule" and am careful about the sign of the charge. If it is negative, then the Qv vector term points in the opposite direction from the velocity vector. Does that make sense? Are you familiar with the vector version of the Lorentz Force?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

upload_2018-10-16_7-19-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-16_7-19-33.png
    upload_2018-10-16_7-19-33.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 624
berkeman said:
The answer C is correct, but I always use the "Right Hand Rule" and am careful about the sign of the charge. If it is negative, then the Qv vector term points in the opposite direction from the velocity vector. Does that make sense? Are you familiar with the vector version of the Lorentz Force?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

View attachment 232262
I am, yes. But does that means reversing the direction of Qv vector is the same if I used my left hand.
I take it as a rule: left hand if it’s an electron, right hand if it’s a proton.

that seems to be correct, yes. you can still use your right hand, though, just point the thumb in the opposite direction of the motion of the negative charge and the middle finger will show the direction of the force. but when you are confronted with a drawing requiring you to twist your hand in an "impossible" way it is easier to rather turn the drawing to make life easier :smile:

Likes YMMMA and berkeman
YMMMA said:
I am, yes. But does that means reversing the direction of Qv vector is the same if I used my left hand.
I take it as a rule: left hand if it’s an electron, right hand if it’s a proton.
I guess you can do that, but it's easier for me to just always use my right hand and be careful about the sign of the charge. Whichever works for you I guess.

Likes YMMMA
Got it. Thank you all.

Likes berkeman

Related to Magnetic force direction on a positive and negative charges

1. How does the direction of magnetic force differ for positive and negative charges?

The direction of magnetic force on a positive charge is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charge. On the other hand, the direction of magnetic force on a negative charge is opposite to that of a positive charge.

2. What causes the direction of magnetic force to be perpendicular to the velocity of the charge?

This is due to the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

3. Can the direction of magnetic force on a positive charge ever be parallel to its velocity?

No, the direction of magnetic force on a positive charge will always be perpendicular to its velocity. This is because a parallel force would not be able to change the direction of the velocity, which is a necessary component of magnetic force.

4. How does the direction of magnetic force change if the charge is moving in a different direction?

The direction of magnetic force will always be perpendicular to the direction of the charge's motion. If the charge changes direction, the magnetic force will also change direction accordingly.

5. Can the direction of magnetic force be reversed for a positive charge?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force on a positive charge can be reversed by changing the direction of either the magnetic field or the velocity of the charge. However, it will still be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the velocity.