Magnetic Force and Gravity in a Horizontal Wire Circuit

In summary, a straight wire with length L cm and mass mg is placed horizontally on a scale and connected to a battery and open switch. A uniform magnetic field with magnitude bT running east-west is present. When the switch is closed, current IA runs from north to south, resulting in a force perpendicular to both the current and magnetic field directions. Using the right-hand rule, the direction of the force is downward, towards the floor. The reading of the scale, N, can be found by considering both the force due to gravity and the force due to the magnetic field.
phyvamp

Homework Statement

A straight wire (length Lcm, mass mg) lies horizontally on top of a sensitive scale. The wire is oriented so it runs north-south, and it is part of an electric circuit that includes a battery and an open switch. There is a uniform magnetic field everywhere, magnitude bT and running east to west. Suddenly the switch is closed, and current IA runs through the wire from north to south. Find N, the reading of the scale, in Newtons, after the switch is thrown. As usual, use: g = 9.803 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

F=mg
dF=BIdL

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel a little confused about the question where it stated "magnitude b T and running east to west" this is the direction of B? So according to right-hand rule, since I is from North to South, the direction of Force due to magnetic field will go outward? So does it will affect the reading of the scale? I only need to consider gravity ?

thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try your right hand rule again. If the current is running N-S and B is pointing E-W, the force is perpendicular to both of those, so it is pointing in which direction??

phyzguy said:
Try your right hand rule again. If the current is running N-S and B is pointing E-W, the force is perpendicular to both of those, so it is pointing in which direction??

right hand: thumb points to south(down) forefinger points to west (left) and the middle finger is inward, so the force is inward?

phyvamp said:
right hand: thumb points to south(down) forefinger points to west (left) and the middle finger is inward, so the force is inward?

No. Think of it like a map laying on a table. N-S are one direction on the table, E-W are a perpendicular direction, but still in the plane of the table. So what direction is perpendicular to both of those?

phyzguy said:
No. Think of it like a map laying on a table. N-S are one direction on the table, E-W are a perpendicular direction, but still in the plane of the table. So what direction is perpendicular to both of those?
right?
thank you for the explanation, this is exactly what I feel confused. In the question, it stated "magnitude bT and running east to west" I thought the direction of B is from E-W, in other words, it points to the right, but actually it is not. It is either inward or outward, right?

I still don't think you're getting it. Again, thinking of the map on the table, if the current is running N-S, and B is running E-W (i.e left to right), the cross product of these is downward, toward the floor. I don't know what you mean by 'inward' and 'outward' in this context.

Related to Magnetic Force and Gravity in a Horizontal Wire Circuit

1. What is the difference between magnetic force and gravity?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force that acts between two or more moving electric charges. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of objects with magnetic fields. Gravity, on the other hand, is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction of objects towards each other.

2. How does magnetic force affect everyday objects?

Magnetic force is responsible for the behavior of magnets and other magnetic materials, such as iron and steel. It can also influence the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, in everyday objects like electronics and appliances.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of objects in space?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in space. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and satellites in orbit around Earth. It also determines the trajectory of objects that are launched into space.

4. Can magnetic force and gravity cancel each other out?

No, magnetic force and gravity are two distinct forces that cannot cancel each other out. They act on different types of objects and have different sources. While gravity is a result of the mass of an object, magnetic force is a result of the movement of electrically charged particles.

5. How do scientists study and measure magnetic force and gravity?

Scientists use various instruments and techniques to study and measure the effects of magnetic force and gravity. Some common methods include using a magnetometer to measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields, and using a gravimeter to measure changes in gravitational force. Additionally, scientists also use mathematical equations and models to understand and predict the behavior of these forces.