Magnetic Flux through 1 loop due to current on the other

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic flux of a loop due to the current in another loop. The formula for magnetic flux is given and it is mentioned that it is only valid within the loop itself. The question of how to calculate the magnetic field for an arbitrary point in space is also brought up.
lion_
The scenario is the following, I am given 2 loops with the same radius, r, a distance of d, and same current of I. In the left loop the current goes counter clockwise, in the right loop the current is clockwise. The two loops centers lie on the same axis which are perpendicular to the plane of the loops. I am asked to find the magnetic flux of the left loop due to the current on the right loop.

I know that the magnetic flux of a loop is $$\phi=B\pi r^2$$ where $$B=\dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2R}$$ So how exactly do I find the Total magnetic flux on the loop due to the magnetic flux on the other? Since the current is opposite I will be subtracting the 2 fluxes.

So $$\phi_{self}=\phi_L-\phi_R$$ which is $$ \dfrac{\mu_0I}{2r} \pi d^2 - \dfrac{\mu_0I}{2r}\pi d^2=0$$ I don't think this makes much sense to me...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am asked to find the magnetic flux of the left loop due to the current on the right loop.
I think this is "without the flux from the current in the right loop".

The formula you used is valid inside the considered field-generating loop only, not for other areas.

Do you know how to calculate the magnetic field of a loop for an arbitrary point in space?

Related to Magnetic Flux through 1 loop due to current on the other

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb) or tesla meters squared (Tm²).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) that the field passes through, at a perpendicular angle. The equation for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A. It is important to note that the area must be perpendicular to the magnetic field in order to accurately calculate magnetic flux.

3. What is the relationship between current and magnetic flux?

A current-carrying wire produces a magnetic field, and the strength of this magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire. Therefore, the greater the current, the greater the magnetic flux through a given area.

4. Can magnetic flux be negative?

Yes, magnetic flux can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic field is directed towards the opposite direction of the area vector. In other words, if the magnetic field and the area vector are in opposite directions, the resulting magnetic flux will be negative.

5. How does the number of loops affect magnetic flux?

The number of loops does not affect the magnetic flux through a given area due to a current. The magnetic field produced by a current-carrying loop is confined to the inside of the loop, so the number of loops does not change the amount of magnetic flux passing through a given area.