Magnetic flux between 2 parallel wires

In summary, there is a problem regarding the calculation of magnetic flux through a section of length l between two parallel wires carrying current I in opposite directions. The provided solution suggests calculating the flux due to one wire and doubling it, while the writer's own approach involves calculating the magnetic field strength due to both wires and then doubling the result. However, after reevaluating the integrals, it is found that both approaches ultimately lead to the same solution.
lowea001

Homework Statement

Consider two long parallel wires each of radius a with a separation distance d between them. They carry current I in opposite directions. Calculate the magnetic flux through a section of length l, ignoring magnetic field inside the wires.

My confusion lies in trying to reconcile two different approaches to solving this problem. The solution provided takes the following approach: calculate the flux due to one wire in this area and then just double it i.e. take the line integral from a to d - a of the magnetic field and multiply by l (and then double this value). My own approach was to calculate the strength of the magnetic field due to both wires at a distance r, take the line integral from a to d/2, multiply the value by l (and then double this value). However, I cannot get the same solution by doing this.

Their solution: [tex]\Phi_b = \frac{\mu_o l I}{\pi}ln\left(\frac{d-a}{a}\right)[/tex]
My solution: [tex]\Phi_b = \frac{\mu_o lI}{\pi}ln\left(\frac{d^2}{4a(d-a)}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

For a long wire carrying current I, [itex]B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2\pi r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Their solution: [tex]\Phi_b = 2 \times \frac{\mu_o lI}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{d-a}\frac{1}{r}dr = \frac{\mu_o lI}{\pi}ln\left(\frac{d-a}{a}\right)[/tex]
My solution: [tex]\Phi_b = 2 \times \frac{\mu_o lI}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{d/2}\left(\frac{1}{r}+\frac{1}{d-r}\right)dr = \frac{\mu_o lI}{\pi}ln\left(\frac{d^2}{4a(d-a)}\right)[/tex]

I apologize in advance if this is a trivial maths error on my part, but I'm hoping that I am correct in my intuition that these two approaches should give the same result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha five seconds after posting this I found my own mistake but I have decided to leave this up here as a demonstration of how the approaches eventually correspond to the same answer: my mistake was in evaluating the integral [itex]\int_{a}^{d/2}\left(\frac{1}{r}+\frac{1}{d-r}\right)dr = ln\left(\frac{d}{2a}\right) + \left(-ln\left(\frac{d}{2(d-a)}\right)\right)=ln\left(\frac{d-a}{a}\right)[/itex], as expected. I missed the negative sign in evaluating the integral of [itex]\frac{1}{d-r}[/itex], whoops.

Related to Magnetic flux between 2 parallel wires

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux refers to the measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

How is magnetic flux calculated?

The magnetic flux between two parallel wires is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area (A) that the field passes through, and then taking the cosine of the angle (θ) between the magnetic field and the area.

Φ = B * A * cos(θ)

How do parallel wires affect each other's magnetic flux?

The magnetic flux between two parallel wires is affected by the distance between them and the current flowing through each wire. The closer the wires are, the stronger the magnetic field and therefore the greater the magnetic flux between them. Similarly, the greater the current flowing through each wire, the stronger the magnetic field and the greater the magnetic flux.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux and electric current?

Magnetic flux is directly proportional to the electric current flowing through a wire. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic flux also increases. Conversely, as the current decreases, the magnetic flux decreases.

What are some practical applications of magnetic flux between parallel wires?

One practical application of magnetic flux between parallel wires is in the construction of electric motors. The interaction between the magnetic fields created by the current flowing through the wires allows for the rotation of the motor. Magnetic flux is also used in devices like generators, transformers, and inductors.