Magnetic fields, lorentz force

In summary, an electron accelerated through a potential difference of 0.868 kV and enters a gap between two parallel plates with a separation of 21.9 mm and a potential difference of 91.2 V. The lower plate is at the lower potential and the electron's velocity vector is perpendicular to the electric field vector between the plates. In unit-vector notation, the required uniform magnetic field for the electron to travel in a straight line in the gap is 0i + 0j + 2.38e-4k T, but the direction needs to be adjusted to align with the z-axis.
popo902

Homework Statement

an electron accelerated from rest through potential difference V1=0.868 kV enters the gap between two parallel plates having separation d = 21.9 mm and potential difference V2= 91.2 V. The lower plate is at the lower potential. Neglect fringing and assume that the electron's velocity vector is perpendicular to the electric field vector between the plates. In unit-vector notation, what uniform magnetic field allows the electron to travel in a straight line in the gap?

Homework Equations

KE = QV
KE = 1/2 mv^2
E= -V/d
E=vB
FE = QE
FB = Qv X B

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that Q and m are the charge an mass of an electron
to calculate E, i used V2, 91.2V.
I use the equations to solve for v

i know that for the electron to go straight through, the FE=FB,
so i got E = vB
then i solved for B

and since B is a cross product of vectors on an xy plane, It HAS to only have a direction perpendicular to them on the z axis

it asks for the answer in vector notation so
in the end, i get 0i + 0j + 2.38e-4k T
but it's wrong...
I have a feeling that this is supposed to be one of the easier questions too :S

Physics news on Phys.org
popo902 said:
[...] and since B is a cross product of vectors on an xy plane, It HAS to only have a direction perpendicular to them on the z axis
Almost!, but not quite. :frown: The electric force is already along the z-axis (the problem statement mentioned something about a lower plate, implying there is an upper plate, implying that one plate is above the other). Which means to counteract the electric force, the magnetic force you are looking for must also be along the z-axis!

So the magnetic field vector must be perpendicular to the force vector and also the velocity vector. But since the force vector is on the z axis, the magnetic field vector must be along some other axis.
it asks for the answer in vector notation so
in the end, i get 0i + 0j + 2.38e-4k T
but it's wrong...
I have a feeling that this is supposed to be one of the easier questions too :S
The magnitude of your magnetic field vector looks good to me. :approve:. (Just work on the direction. :smile:)

[Edit: A figure or something defining the axes would be helpful here. The problem statement doesn't say along which axis the electron is moving, so there isn't enough information given in the problem statement as it is. But I'm guessing that the up/down axis is the z-axis in my above comments. The rest depends along which other axis (x or y) the electron is moving. In any case, once you know how the axes are defined, you can use the right hand rule (or the definition of the cross product) to find the solution.]

Last edited:

Related to Magnetic fields, lorentz force

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can influence other moving electric charges.

2. What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric and magnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

3. How do magnetic fields and the Lorentz force affect charged particles?

Magnetic fields can deflect the path of a charged particle, while the Lorentz force can accelerate or decelerate the particle depending on the direction of the fields. These forces are essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various systems, such as electric motors and particle accelerators.

4. How can magnetic fields be created or manipulated?

Magnetic fields can be created by moving electric charges, such as in a wire with an electric current flowing through it. They can also be manipulated by using devices such as electromagnets, which use electric currents to generate magnetic fields that can be turned on and off.

5. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and electricity?

Magnetic fields and electricity are closely related and are both components of the electromagnetic force. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which form the foundation of electromagnetism.