Magnetic fields and 2 parallel conductors

In summary, two parallel conductors with currents in the same direction will experience a force of attraction as they are moved apart. This is due to the right-hand rule and the fact that magnetic fields decrease with distance, resulting in a decrease in force. The correct answer is C) attraction decreases.
pyroknife
This question was on my homework and I don't really understand how it has to do with magnetic fields.

Homework Statement

As 2 parallel conductors with currents in the same direction are moved apart, their force of
A) repulsion decreases
B)Repulsion increases
C) attraction decreases
D) Attraction increases

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They will attract b/c I used the right hand rule and the 2 forces coming from both conductors are pointing towards the other. And I think it will decrease b/c the force of mag fields depends on magnetic field and the farther away the weaker so if magnetic field decreases then Force will decrease. So I think the answer is C. Not sure if its right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic looks good.

Related to Magnetic fields and 2 parallel conductors

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of magnetic flux.

2. How do magnetic fields interact with parallel conductors?

When two parallel conductors are placed near each other, their magnetic fields interact and can either attract or repel each other depending on the direction of the current in the wires.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between parallel conductors and the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between parallel conductors decreases as the distance between the conductors increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the magnetic field strength decreases by a factor of four as the distance between the conductors doubles.

4. How does the current in the conductors affect the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between parallel conductors is directly proportional to the current in the wires. This means that increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field between parallel conductors be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the current in one or both of the conductors. This will result in the parallel conductors either attracting or repelling each other in the opposite direction than before.