Magnetic field with and without ferrite core

In summary, when a ferrite core with a relative permeability of 200 is inserted into an air core circular coil of n turns, the magnetic field at a point in space outside the coil will increase by μr times. This can be calculated using the formula β = μr×I×n/(2πι), where I is the current and l is the distance to the coil. The increase in magnetic field is due to the extra field lines generated by the ferrite core.
M.Kalai vanan
An air core circular coil of n turns produced a magnetic field of (for eg) 0.5 tesla at a point in space (not within the coil nor along the axis of coil). If a ferrite core of μr (relative permeability)=200 and of the same length of the coil is inserted into the coil what happens to the magnetic field at the same point.
Will it increase by μr times or stay constant?
NOTE:
The magnetic field at the center of coil increases by μr times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Magnetic Field will surely increase big times

β = μ0×I×n/(2πι) if the Coil is air core
However
β = μr×I×n/(2πι)
Where l is the distance to the coil ^^"
Hope I've helped ...

Last edited:
My first instinct is to say, "all those extra field lines inside the coil have to go *somewhere*, so yes it increases, and by the same multiplier. That still sounds right after a minute of reflection. I've never learned any formulas for ferromagnetism, though.

Likes Noctisdark

Related to Magnetic field with and without ferrite core

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic moments of elementary particles.

2. How does a magnetic field interact with a ferrite core?

A ferrite core is a material with high magnetic permeability, meaning it can easily be magnetized. When a magnetic field is introduced to a ferrite core, the core becomes magnetized and can amplify the strength of the field.

3. What is the purpose of using a ferrite core in a magnetic field?

A ferrite core is commonly used in magnetic fields to increase the strength of the field or to direct it in a specific direction. This is useful in applications such as transformers, where a strong and focused magnetic field is necessary.

4. Can a magnetic field exist without a ferrite core?

Yes, a magnetic field can exist without a ferrite core. However, the strength and direction of the field may be weaker and less controlled compared to a field with a ferrite core.

5. How can a magnetic field with a ferrite core be controlled?

The strength and direction of a magnetic field with a ferrite core can be controlled by adjusting the size, shape, and placement of the core. Additionally, the strength of the field can be manipulated by changing the amount of current flowing through the core.