Magnetic field strength in two wires

In summary, the prompt involves two wires carrying currents in opposite directions, separated by a distance of 0.02 meters. Points P and Q are located 0.01 meters above and below the bottom wire, respectively. The question asks to compare the magnetic field strength at point Q to the magnetic field strength at point P, with multiple choice options given. The conversation discusses the correct method for calculating the field strengths at both points, including the use of the right hand rule and accounting for the direction of the fields.
swim-student
1. Multiple choice problem, the prompt is the following: Two wires carry currents is opposite directions, as shown below. The wires are separated by a distance of 0.02 meter, and points P and Q are located 0.01 meter above and below the bottom wire.

Compare the Magnetic field strength at point Q to the magnetic field strength at point P.
a. Bp=Bq
b. Bp= (1.2)Bq
c. Bp= (1/4)Bq
d. Bp= (1/9)Bq
e. Bp= 3Bq

2. I understand from a previous problem that the magnetic field at point P from the top wire is B=(10μ)/∏ (simplified from the equation B=(μI)/2∏r), but I'm having trouble understanding if the magnetic field strength at point Q should be from both of the wires or just the top wire.

3. My initial thought was to add the magnetic field due to the top wire and the magnetic field due to the bottom wire together to get the strength at point Q, but I'm not sure if my math is wrong or what, because I get B= (μ.2)/∏.06 from the bottom wire which simplifies to (μ(10/3))/∏. add that to what I got for the the magnetic field with a radius of .01 and you get (2μ(40/10))/2∏. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy because I'm tired or what, but please please please help me! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• mag field lines.jpg
    mag field lines.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
For point P, you calculated the field only due to the TOP wire, you should calculate the field due to the bottom wire as well, and add them up as vectors (hint: to find the direction of the field, use the right hand rule). For point Q, your calculation for the field due to the bottom wire is a bit off, the distance from point Q is clearly 0.01 meters from the bottom wire, and 0.03 meters from the top one, use those values for [itex]r[/itex] and don't forget to include the direction of both fields when adding them.

Related to Magnetic field strength in two wires

1. What is the magnetic field strength in two wires?

The magnetic field strength in two wires is the measure of the force exerted by the magnetic field on a unit charge moving through the wires. It is expressed in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. How does the distance between the two wires affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance between the two wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field strength decreases.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field strength in two wires?

The magnetic field strength in two wires is affected by the current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the material and shape of the wires. It is also influenced by the presence of any external magnetic fields.

4. How can the magnetic field strength in two wires be calculated?

The magnetic field strength in two wires can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0 x I)/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance between the wires.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnetic field strength in two wires?

The magnetic field strength in two wires has various applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators.