Magnetic Field Strength Calculation for a Solenoid with Given Parameters

In summary, to calculate the magnetic field strength inside a 10 cm solenoid with 241 turns and a radius of 3.00 cm, with a current of 200 mA, you can use the formula B = μ0nIo. After substituting the values, the magnetic field strength is calculated to be 6.06E-4 T. However, it is important to note that some sources use μ0=4π(10-7) instead of 1.257x10^-6 for the constant, which would result in a slightly different answer.
sphys4

Homework Statement

A 10 cm long solenoid with 241 turns and radius R = 3.00 cm has a current flowing through it of Io = 200 mA. What is the magnetic field strength inside the solenoid (in T)?

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know i have to use the formula B = (uo)(n)(Io)

uo = a constant 1.257 x 10^-6
n = 241/.1 = 2410 N/L
Io = 200 mA or .2 A

So when plugging in B = (1.257x10^-6)(2410)(.2) = 6.06E-4
I am getting the wrong answer... can someone please tell me where i went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is correct. Are you sure you don't need to use μ0=4π(10-7)? Even though your answer would just change by a small number.

Related to Magnetic Field Strength Calculation for a Solenoid with Given Parameters

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in various electrical devices such as motors, generators, and electromagnets.

2. How does a solenoid produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field due to the movement of electrons in the wire. This magnetic field is similar to that of a bar magnet, with a north and south pole, but it is much stronger due to the large number of coils in the solenoid.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid depends on the direction of the electric current. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the number of coils in a solenoid affect the magnetic field?

The number of coils in a solenoid is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field it produces. This means that the more coils there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, increasing the length of the solenoid can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Can the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field can be changed by adjusting the amount of electric current flowing through it. Increasing the current will increase the strength of the magnetic field, while decreasing the current will weaken it. The material of the core within the solenoid can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.