Magnetic field strenght - confusion here

In summary, the strength of a magnetic field is not a constant and decreases by a factor of inverse cubic in relation to distance. This is due to the magnetic field of a localized current distribution being a function of space. In terms of magnetic damping force, the strength of a magnet can vary depending on factors such as magnetic permeability and magnetic moment. In an experiment involving a magnet sliding down a slope of aluminum, the increase in speed with the addition of cardboard layers is likely due to induced current interacting with the magnet's magnetic field and the friction force between the cardboard and aluminum surface not being a linear function of mass. However, the magnetic damping coefficient may also play a role in the friction force between the materials.
holiwis123
I'm not sure how magnetic field strenghts and dipoles work. I know that the strenght decreases by 1/r^3, but
- isn't magnetic field strenght a constant inherent to the magnet?
- if it is not constant, what is?
- how is all this related to magnetic damping force?

Physics news on Phys.org
holiwis123 said:
isn't magnetic field strenght a constant inherent to the magnet?
That can't be true, the magnetic field of a localized current distribution is a function of space. If you have a magnet, do you think that it can attract anything with equal strength, regardless of the distance from this magnet?
holiwis123 said:
if it is not constant, what is?
I thought you know that it decreases by a factor of inverse cubic.

blue_leaf77 said:
That can't be true, the magnetic field of a localized current distribution is a function of space. If you have a magnet, do you think that it can attract anything with equal strength, regardless of the distance from this magnet?

I thought you know that it decreases by a factor of inverse cubic.

okay right, makes sense. Then, shouldn't the magnet have some tipe of constant, that divided over 1/r^3 would give the strenght with which it would attract something at r distance?

From what I understand, it sounds like you are looking for some parameters which are typically used to specify the attractability of the magnet. I am not particularly familiar with how a commercial magnet is specified, but I think the magnetic permeability and probably the magnetic moment are among them. By the way, the inverse cubic dependency of the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole is derived for large distances. One cannot immediately apply it to everyday cases of metal objects in the vicinity of a magnet.

blue_leaf77 said:
From what I understand, it sounds like you are looking for some parameters which are typically used to specify the attractability of the magnet. I am not particularly familiar with how a commercial magnet is specified, but I think the magnetic permeability and probably the magnetic moment are among them. By the way, the inverse cubic dependency of the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole is derived for large distances. One cannot immediately apply it to everyday cases of metal objects in the vicinity of a magnet.

so what would you use? the experiment I'm planning is a magnet going down a slope of aluminium. if the magnet is directly in contact with the slope, it goes really slowly, and as I increase the distance by putting card board layers, the velocity increases. Which dependeny is there in this case?

Aluminium has a very weak magnetic property, in your experiment I doubt the magnetic property is the culprit causing the magnet to slow down. I suspect it's merely due to the nature of the surfaces of the aluminium and the cardboard such that the cardboard has lower coefficient of friction.

blue_leaf77 said:
Aluminium has a very weak magnetic property, in your experiment I doubt the magnetic property is the culprit causing the magnet to slow down. I suspect it's merely due to the nature of the surfaces of the aluminium and the cardboard such that the cardboard has lower coefficient of friction.

No! It actually works quite well, there is an increase in speed the more cardboard are there. (i.e. if there's only one cardboard, it goes pretty slow, with three is faster, with eight even more)

There are two factors which come to my mind. First is that a relative movement between certain metal, one of which is aluminium, with a magnet can induce a current flowing in the metal. This induced current interact with the magnetic field of the magnet such that a magnetic force is exerted upon the objects (Lens law). I haven't analyzed this case, but if the force is such that it attracts the magnet toward the Al surface, then the sliding magnet will feel more normal force. This necessarily increase the effect of surface friction and thus, the closer the magnet to the surface is, the stronger the friction force.
Second, it's possible that the friction force between the cardboard and Al surface is not a linear function of the mass, as it is usually assumed in typical sliding box problem. In this case, the acceleration will have the form
$$
a(m) = \frac{mg\sin\theta - f(m)}{m}
$$
The friction force ##f(m)## may be such that ##a(m)## is an increasing function of ##m##.

blue_leaf77 said:
There are two factors which come to my mind. First is that a relative movement between certain metal, one of which is aluminium, with a magnet can induce a current flowing in the metal. This induced current interact with the magnetic field of the magnet such that a magnetic force is exerted upon the objects (Lens law). I haven't analyzed this case, but if the force is such that it attracts the magnet toward the Al surface, then the sliding magnet will feel more normal force. This necessarily increase the effect of surface friction and thus, the closer the magnet to the surface is, the stronger the friction force.
Second, it's possible that the friction force between the cardboard and Al surface is not a linear function of the mass, as it is usually assumed in typical sliding box problem. In this case, the acceleration will have the form
$$
a(m) = \frac{mg\sin\theta - f(m)}{m}
$$
The friction force ##f(m)## may be such that ##a(m)## is an increasing function of ##m##.

I forgot to mention I'm using a neodymium magnet and not a normal one. About the "the closer the magnet to the surface is, the stronger the friction force.", the friction force, as the interaction of both materials (cardboard and magnet) is always the same, what changes is another factor called magnetic damping coefficient and that depends on speed, but thanks anyway for the help(:

Related to Magnetic field strenght - confusion here

What is a magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a unit of electric charge moving through the field. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How is magnetic field strength different from magnetic field intensity?

Magnetic field strength and magnetic field intensity are often used interchangeably, but technically they refer to different things. Magnetic field strength is a measure of the overall strength of a magnetic field, whereas magnetic field intensity is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the field at a specific point.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength of the magnet or electromagnet, the distance from the source, and the permeability of the material in the field.

How does magnetic field strength influence the behavior of charged particles?

Magnetic field strength plays a crucial role in the behavior of charged particles. Charged particles will experience a force when moving through a magnetic field, and the strength of this force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This is why charged particles can be deflected or accelerated by magnetic fields.

Is there a limit to how strong a magnetic field can be?

Yes, there is a theoretical limit to the strength of a magnetic field, known as the Schwinger limit. This limit is equivalent to a magnetic field strength of approximately 4.4 x 10^13 T, beyond which the laws of quantum mechanics would be violated.