Magnetic Field produced by moving charges

In summary: As it is, the only force is the magnetic field of the orange charge acting on the red charge. Since the charges have the same sign, the force will be repulsive, not attractive.In summary, for the first question, the correct answer is zero and this can be mathematically derived from the equation given in the homework. For the second question, the book answer that the force is attractive does not seem to be correct, as the magnetic field from one charge will cause a repulsive force on the other charge. The statement that the magnetic field is repelling the other charge just as much as it is attracting it is incorrect.
shirobon

Homework Statement

I have two related questions here.

A positive point charge is moving directly toward P. The magnetic field that the point charge produces at P is?

Two positive point charges move side by side in the same direction with the same velocity.
What is the direction of the magnitude of the force that the upper point charge exerts on the lower one?
FkqMfUk.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{q\vec{v} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first Question:
The correct answer is zero.
My answer is that is is perpendicular to the line from the point charge to the point P.
According to the right hand rule, the direction of the point charge is going to be the thumb, so the resulting magnetic field should be perpendicular to the velocity vector, in circles.
Like this
jPP1GuT.png

So why is the answer 0 and not perpendicular to the line, if the field is going around in a perpendicular plane?

For the second question:
The correct answer is toward the upper point charge (the force is attractive)

However, when I think about it conceptually, I imagine it like
viDYdx0.png

So the magnetic field from one charge is repelling the other charge just as much as it is attracting.Could somebody point out where I went wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shirobon, :welcome:

1. Note that P is directly ahead of the moving charge... mathematically the zero follows from ##\vec v\times\vec r = 0 ##
Your end view is a plane straight through the moving charge; but you can see somehing has to change sign on the axis

2. I don't understand the book answer. Isn't it so that equal sign charges repel each other ? i.e. the force can not be attractive ?
Or does the exercise ask for the magnetic force only, and you forgot to tell us that? In that case:
I don't understand your reasoning: at the orange charge B is up and v is into the paper, so F is towards the red charge.
at the red charge B is down and v is into the paper, so F is towards the orange charge. What makes you state
shirobon said:
So the magnetic field from one charge is repelling the other charge just as much as it is attracting.
?

BvU said:
Hi Shirobon, :welcome:

1. Note that P is directly ahead of the moving charge... mathematically the zero follows from ##\vec v\times\vec r = 0 ##
Your end view is a plane straight through the moving charge; but you can see somehing has to change sign on the axis

2. I don't understand the book answer. Isn't it so that equal sign charges repel each other ? i.e. the force can not be attractive ?
Or does the exercise ask for the magnetic force only, and you forgot to tell us that? In that case:
I don't understand your reasoning: at the orange charge B is up and v is into the paper, so F is towards the red charge.
at the red charge B is down and v is into the paper, so F is towards the orange charge. What makes you state
?

I agree with 2). If these were 2 wires carrying current in the direction shown then they would attract. The combined magnetic field 'wraps round' both wires.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its strength and direction.

2. How are magnetic fields produced by moving charges?

Magnetic fields are produced by the movement of electric charges. When electric charges, such as electrons, move, they create a circular magnetic field around them. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the speed of the moving charges.

3. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are both components of electromagnetic fields. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric fields.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). One Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can also be measured using a device called a magnetometer.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields produced by moving charges?

Magnetic fields produced by moving charges have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines, as well as in particle accelerators and magnetic levitation trains.