Magnetic Field [Perpendicular wires]

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Biot-Savart Law and the equation F = ILxB to find the force acting on a wire (I2) due to another wire (I1). The first person suggests integrating along the infinitely-long Wire 1 to determine the magnetic field, but the second person explains that the well-known expression can be used instead. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the distance needed to find the magnetic field and the reason for not integrating to find it.
Antonius

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-16_20-37-55.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law: ## dB = μIdl/4πr^2
F = ILxB

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not tried to solve it. BUT, please check my approach. I want to make sure my method is correct and whether there is a flaw or no.

I am trying to set up an integral here. I am to integrate it from from ## d+L ## to ## d ##. To do so, I will ignore the current in ## I_2 ## while integrating. Then, once I found ## B ## created by ## I_1 ## (which is "into the plane." [Meaning force acting on ## I_2 ## is in the same direction as ## I_2 ##

What is wrong up until now?

Well, here I am not sure how to find F acting on ## I_2 ##... Does ## F = IL(dot)B ## work?

Thank you.

Attachments

• safasfasf.jpg
    safasfasf.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to integrate along the infinite wire to find the magnetic field ##\vec{B}## it creates. You can just use the well-known result.

But you will need to integrate along the short wire, using the limits of integration you mentioned. Integrate

##d \vec{F}=I \ d \vec{L} \times \vec {B}##

to find the force.

Mister T said:
I don't think you need to integrate along the infinite wire to find the magnetic field ##\vec{B}## it creates. You can just use the well-known result.

But you will need to integrate along the short wire, using the limits of integration you mentioned. Integrate

##d \vec{F}=I \ d \vec{L} \times \vec {B}##

to find the force.

So, I can just use B = μI/2πr, where r is distance from wire 1 to wire 2, to find the Magnetic field that ## I_1 ## creating?

Can you shortly explain the reason behind not integrating to find ## B ##? I am not quite clear on that...

Antonius said:
So, I can just use B = μI/2πr, where r is distance from wire 1 to wire 2, to find the Magnetic field that ## I_1 ## creating?
The distance from (the closest point along) Wire 1 to each differential element ##d \vec{L}## in Wire 2, yes.

Can you shortly explain the reason behind not integrating to find ## B ##? I am not quite clear on that...
Integrating along the infinitely-long Wire 1 to determine the magnetic field ##\vec {B}## will result in the well-known expression ##\frac{\mu_oI}{2 \pi r}## for its magnitude. You will then have to use that result to perform the other integration (the one I described in my first post) to find ##\vec{F}##. I don't think it's your prof's intention that you do both integrals as the first one is found in every textbook.

Likes Antonius

Related to Magnetic Field [Perpendicular wires]

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric currents.

2. How are magnetic fields created in perpendicular wires?

In perpendicular wires, magnetic fields are created when an electric current flows through the wire in a direction perpendicular to the wire's length. This creates a circular magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in perpendicular wires?

The direction of the magnetic field in perpendicular wires is always perpendicular to the direction of the electric current flowing through the wire. This means that the magnetic field will be oriented in a circular pattern around the wire.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with each other in perpendicular wires?

In perpendicular wires, magnetic fields from different wires can interact with each other. If the wires are parallel to each other, the magnetic fields will repel each other. If the wires are anti-parallel, the magnetic fields will attract each other.

5. What are some applications of perpendicular wires and magnetic fields?

Perpendicular wires and magnetic fields have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in technologies such as magnetic storage devices, magnetic levitation systems, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.