Magnetic field of a lightning bolt

In summary, using Ampere's law, the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 27 m from a lightning bolt that has 14 C of charge flowing in a time of 1.5 x 10^-3 s and can be represented as a long, straight line of current is given by B = \frac {\mu I}{2\pi r} with r = 27 m.
1timeuse
In a lightning bolt, 14 C of charge flows in a time of 1.5 x 10^-3 s. Assuming that the lightning bolt can be represented as a long, straight line of current, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 27 m from the bolt?

do i use 27 m as the radius in the equation

[tex] B = \frac {\mu I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1timeuse said:
In a lightning bolt, 14 C of charge flows in a time of 1.5 x 10^-3 s. Assuming that the lightning bolt can be represented as a long, straight line of current, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 27 m from the bolt?

do i use 27 m as the radius in the equation

[tex] B = \frac {\mu I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

Yes! That's just Ampere's law applied to a cylindrically symmetric current.

Yes, you would use 27 m as the distance (r) in the equation. The magnitude of the magnetic field can be calculated as follows:

B = (4π x 10^-7 T·m/A) x (14 C / 1.5 x 10^-3 s) / (2π x 27 m)

B = 1.48 x 10^-4 T

Therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of 27 m from the lightning bolt is 1.48 x 10^-4 T. This is a relatively small value, as lightning bolts typically have very strong electric fields but weaker magnetic fields.

Related to Magnetic field of a lightning bolt

1. What is the magnetic field of a lightning bolt?

The magnetic field of a lightning bolt is the magnetic force that is generated by the flow of electric current during a lightning strike. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How strong is the magnetic field of a lightning bolt?

The strength of the magnetic field of a lightning bolt can vary greatly depending on the size and intensity of the bolt. On average, it can range from 0.01 to 1 tesla (T).

3. What causes the magnetic field in a lightning bolt?

The magnetic field in a lightning bolt is caused by the flow of electric current through the ionized air molecules. This creates a circular magnetic field around the lightning channel.

4. Can the magnetic field of a lightning bolt be harmful to humans?

Although the magnetic field of a lightning bolt is strong, it is usually not harmful to humans as it is short-lived and dissipates quickly. However, if a person is struck by lightning, the strong electric current can cause serious injury or death.

5. How is the magnetic field of a lightning bolt measured?

The magnetic field of a lightning bolt can be measured using specialized equipment such as magnetometers or electromagnetic sensors. These devices can detect the changes in the Earth's magnetic field caused by a lightning strike.