Magnetic field of a hollow cylinder

In summary: However, if you want to look it up yourself you can use the following equation:\vec{A}\left(\vec{r}\right)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int\frac{\vec{K\left(r'\right)}}{\tau}da'\Where the limit of \left(r,r'\right) as \left(r,r'\right) approaches 0 can be found using the following equation:\vec{A}\left(\vec{r}\right)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\int\frac{\vec{K\left(r'\right)}}{\tau}
toomuchfries

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the magnetic field of a hollow finite solenoid carrying uniform current with n turns (there is no top or bottom surfaces and the turns a very closely winded) at a point arbitrary P both inside and outside. Let's just say windings around a hollow pvc pipe.

Homework Equations

I can use either biot savarts law and/or magnetic vector potential for surface currents. I'll use griffiths notation 3rd edition equations 5.39 and 5.64 respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll attempt this in cylinderical coordinates. Since the current is uniform. I'll use the

[itex]\vec{A}\left(\vec{r}\right)=\frac{1}{4\pi}\int\frac{\vec{K\left(r'\right)}}{\tau}da'[/itex]

Current density [itex]\vec{K}[/itex] is in the [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex]

so [itex]\vec{K}=\frac{nI}{z'}\hat{\phi}[/itex] ? Since current is uniform.
[itex]\tau=\left|r-r'\right|[/itex]

[itex]r=s\hat{s}+s\phi\hat{\phi}+z\hat{z}[/itex]
[itex]r'=s\hat{s}?[/itex]

[itex]da'=sd\phi'dz'[/itex]

Where the limits of phi' is 0->2*pi and z' is 0 -> L (length of cylinder)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an image of the particular set-up? Or could you reference to one in Griffiths?

Hi Sandy, I just attached an image file its just turns of wire wrapped around a pvc. I looked up a few things I think I have to use elliptic integrals... My first aim is to write an expression for the current density and the position and source vectors r and r'.

Attachments

• IMAG0286.jpg
    IMAG0286.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 501
Are you neglecting fringing? If you use Biot-Savart, have you considered analyzing a single loop, and then applying superposition to n loops?

I've thought about that since Jackson's has a solution to a single loop of wire. But I'm going to be inserting a ferromagntic material inside at some stage so I might need to take fringing fields into account?

Well, I am not really in a position to help you with the fringing effects as I only have experience at the undergraduate level thus far.

Related to Magnetic field of a hollow cylinder

1. What is the magnetic field of a hollow cylinder?

The magnetic field of a hollow cylinder is the magnetic field created by a cylindrical object with an empty space inside. This field is generated by the movement of electric charges within the cylinder.

2. How is the magnetic field of a hollow cylinder calculated?

The magnetic field of a hollow cylinder can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the cylinder, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a hollow cylinder?

The strength of the magnetic field in a hollow cylinder is affected by the current flowing through the cylinder, the distance from the center of the cylinder, and the permeability of the material surrounding the cylinder.

4. Is the magnetic field inside a hollow cylinder uniform?

No, the magnetic field inside a hollow cylinder is not uniform. The field strength decreases as you move further away from the center of the cylinder and is strongest at the surface of the cylinder.

5. Can the magnetic field of a hollow cylinder be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a hollow cylinder can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the cylinder or by using other external magnetic fields to influence it. This can be useful in various applications such as magnetic levitation or particle acceleration.