Magnetic field lines of a moving electron

In summary, the magnetic field lines of a moving electron in a straight line and a rotating hydrogen electron are produced due to the electron's intrinsic spin and movement. These lines can be visualized with a picture or explanation similar to that of a bar magnet's magnetic field lines. Additionally, the drift velocity of electrons in a superconductor is relatively high due to the virtually zero resistance caused by collisions with atoms.
QED-Kasper
A moving electron's magnetic field lines.

How do the magnetic field lines of a moving electron in a straight line look? What about the magnetic field lines of a rotating hydrogen electron? I mean the magnetic field produced due to the electron's intrinsic spin and due to its movement in a line or around an atom. I have searched this forum and the internet and I couldn't find a picture or explanation. Does anyone have a link to a nice picture of this, like that of a bar magnet's magnetic field lines, or a good explanation?

Another perhaps more simple question I have is: what is a common drift velocity observed in a superconductor? I know its very low in the electrical wires in our house for example (0.05 mm /s ). I read that in a superconductor the resistance (which as I understand is caused by electrons colliding with atoms) is virtually 0. So I assume the drift velocity of electrons in a superconductor is relatively high.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am checking this thread for any answers every few hours since I made it (just to let you know).

Related to Magnetic field lines of a moving electron

1. What are magnetic field lines?

Magnetic field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of a magnetic field. They are used to visualize the properties and behavior of a magnetic field.

2. How are magnetic field lines formed by a moving electron?

Magnetic field lines are formed by a moving electron due to its electric charge and motion. As the electron moves, its electric field creates a magnetic field perpendicular to its direction of motion, which then forms the magnetic field lines.

3. Why do magnetic field lines form circles around a moving electron?

Magnetic field lines form circles around a moving electron because the direction of the magnetic field changes as the electron moves. This creates a circular pattern of magnetic field lines around the electron's path.

4. How does the speed of the electron affect the shape of the magnetic field lines?

The speed of the electron does not affect the shape of the magnetic field lines, but it does affect their density. As the electron's speed increases, the magnetic field lines become more tightly packed together.

5. What is the significance of magnetic field lines of a moving electron in practical applications?

Magnetic field lines of a moving electron have many practical applications, including in particle accelerators, where they are used to control and focus the path of charged particles. They are also important in understanding the behavior of electric motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields for their operation.