Magnetic Field inside plate

In summary, the magnetic field outside a large, flat conducting plate with a linearly decreasing current density inside is given by B = (μ0J0)/4a. To find the magnetic field inside, Ampere's Law is applied again, accounting for both the field above and below a certain point z. This results in the equation B = μ0J0(az^2/2 - z + 1/4a), accounting for the extra term of 1/4a.
deedsy

Homework Statement

What is the magnetic field outside and inside of a large, flat conducting plate if the current density decreases linearly with depth z inside the plate. J = J0(1-az). The plate thickness is 1/a.

Homework Equations

*see below

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \oint \vec B \cdot d \vec l = \mu_0 I[/itex]

So outside the plate,
[itex] 2Bl = \mu_0 \int J_0(1-az)ldz[/itex] *The integral is taken from from z=0 to z=1/a (the whole plate)
[itex]B=\frac{\mu_0 J_0}{4a} [/itex]

Which agrees with the back of the book solution.

Now inside is where I am having trouble...
I tried applying Ampere's Law again but I just got
[itex] \oint \vec B \cdot d \vec l = \mu_0 I[/itex]
[itex] 2Bl = \mu_0 \int J_0(1-az)ldz[/itex] *taking the integral from 0 to z this time
[itex] B=\frac{\mu_o J_0}{2} (z-\frac{az^2}{2})[/itex]

but the back of the book says the answer is [itex] B = \mu_0 J_0 (\frac{az^2}{2} - z +\frac{1}{4a}) [/itex]

So I'm not sure where the [itex] \frac{1}{4a} [/itex] came from... Does anyone know how i should go about finding the magnetic field inside the plate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At some point z, you have a field above and a field below. You should account for both of them.

Likes deedsy
Got it - thanks for the help

Related to Magnetic Field inside plate

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or by magnetic materials. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

What is the magnetic field inside a plate?

The magnetic field inside a plate is the strength and direction of the magnetic field within a flat, solid object made of a magnetic material. It is typically stronger at the center of the plate and weaker at the edges.

How is the magnetic field inside a plate determined?

The magnetic field inside a plate is determined by the material and shape of the plate, as well as the strength and direction of any external magnetic fields acting upon it. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or measured using specialized instruments.

What are the practical applications of understanding the magnetic field inside a plate?

Understanding the magnetic field inside a plate is important for various applications such as in magnetic storage devices, magnetic shielding, and in the design of electrical motors and generators. It is also crucial in studying the behavior of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and navigation systems.

Can the magnetic field inside a plate be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a plate can be manipulated by changing the properties of the material, such as its composition or temperature, or by applying external magnetic fields. This allows for control over the strength and direction of the magnetic field, making it useful in various technologies and experiments.