Magnetic field in a closed path

In summary, the magnetic field at point P is due to the Biot-Savart law and is in the same direction as the current flowing through the wire.
Faefnir

Homework Statement

Find (a) the module and (b) the direction, entering or exiting the page plane, of the magnetic field at point P, knowing that a = 4.7 cm and i = 13 A

dMyM7u8.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart law

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1-2 and 4-5 segments, B = 0 because sin θ = 0 for all segment points.

Taking the 2-3 segment

R = distance from P to the wire (2-P line)
r = distance from P to the point 3. Assume the point 3 as the infinitesimal segment ds (3-P line)
s = wire length (2-3 line)

From the first rectangle triangles law

R = r sin (π-θ) = r sin (θ) ⇒ sin (θ) = R/r

gif.gif

r is triangle's hypotenuse with s and R as catetis

r2 = R2 + s2

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

Solving the integral

gif.gif

after a few steps

gif.gif

Regardless of the numerical result, the final formula I got is right, or have I made any mistakes?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• dMyM7u8.png
    dMyM7u8.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 735
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    846 bytes · Views: 302
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    801 bytes · Views: 295
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 279
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 288
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 294
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    724 bytes · Views: 296
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about the magnetic field from segments 5-6 and 6-1?

kuruman said:
What about the magnetic field from segments 5-6 and 6-1?

gif.gif

gif.gif

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    711 bytes · Views: 273
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 286
Is this both of them or just one? What about the total? What about the direction?

Both of 5-6 and 6-1.

About total and direction:
2-3 is entering
6-1 is exiting
Not sure about horizontal segments (3-4 and 5-6): Can you help me? (yes, I know sounds like ready-made food)

I supposed to rotate the image by 90° clockwise:
3-4 is entering
5-6 is exiting

So, the total is -1.86 · 10-5
The book reports 20 μA for a entering current (from chapter 29 exercises, Halliday-Resnick-Walker, Electromagnetism and Optics, 7th edition)

Last edited:
Faefnir said:
-1.86 · 10-5
Can you show me how you got this number? Please use the final equation with symbols that you used.
Faefnir said:
The book reports 20 μA for a entering current (from chapter 29 exercises, Halliday-Resnick-Walker, Electromagnetism and Optics, 7th edition)
Do you actually mean μA? If so, what current is this?

Solved. Taking ds verse agrees as the one of the current

gif.gif

so
|B| ≅ |-2 · 10-5| T ≅ 2 · 10-5 T
The minus sign suggests an entering direction for the magnetic field

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 243
I agree with your answer. Now that you have solved your problem, I will show you an easier way than calculating the separate contributions from each segment. Suppose you found an expression for the B-field at the corner of a regular square. The field for the loop in the problem is the superposition of two squares one of side ##2a## and counterclockwise current and one with side ##a## and clockwise current (see figure below). So once you find the expression for the square, you reuse it for the smaller square with a negative sign because the current is reversed.
SquareLoop.png

Attachments

• SquareLoop.png
    SquareLoop.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Likes Charles Link

Related to Magnetic field in a closed path

1. What is a closed magnetic field?

A closed magnetic field refers to a magnetic field that forms a complete loop, with no beginning or end. This means that the magnetic field lines start and end at the same point, creating a continuous loop. This is also known as a closed magnetic circuit.

2. How is a closed magnetic field created?

A closed magnetic field is created when a current-carrying wire is formed into a loop or when a magnet is shaped into a closed loop. The direction of the magnetic field lines is determined by the direction of the current in the wire or the orientation of the magnet's poles.

3. What is the importance of a closed magnetic field?

A closed magnetic field is important because it allows for the efficient transfer of energy. This is because the magnetic field lines are confined within the closed loop, creating a strong and concentrated magnetic field. This is useful in applications such as electric motors and generators.

4. How does a closed magnetic field affect charged particles?

A closed magnetic field can exert a force on charged particles that are moving within it. This force, known as the Lorentz force, is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This can cause the particle to move in a circular path or to be deflected in a different direction.

5. Can a closed magnetic field be changed?

Yes, a closed magnetic field can be changed by altering the current in the wire or the position of the magnet. This can be done by using switches or adjusting the physical location of the wire or magnet. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can also be changed by using different materials or by adding or removing magnetic fields from the surrounding environment.