Magnetic field far from the origin

In summary, an important result in the theory of antennas states that if a current passes through the ZZ axis, the magnetic field at a far distance can be expressed in spherical coordinates using only one component of the magnetic vector potential. To prove this, we can use the equations for the magnetic field of a straight wire and B=∇xA. This concept relates to the radiated EM wave, which falls off inversely with distance and has a maximum at 90 degrees to the conductor.
OhNoYaDidn't

Homework Statement

An important result in the theory of antennas, is that if a current passes through the ZZ axis, the magnetic field far from the origin can be expressed in spherical coordinates, using only one componente of the magnetic vector potential.
Prove that:
Code_Cogs_Eqn_2.gif

Homework Equations

The magnectic field for a straight wire is mu0*I/(2*pi*r), and B=∇xA.

The Attempt at a Solution

This was in my exam last week, and i have no idea how to solve it... I've tried stating with the magnetic field of a straight wire, but i don't know how to relate that with the curl of A. Can you guys please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
OhNoYaDidn't said:

Homework Statement

An important result in the theory of antennas, is that if a current passes through the ZZ axis, the magnetic field far from the origin can be expressed in spherical coordinates, using only one componente of the magnetic vector potential.
Prove that:
Code_Cogs_Eqn_2.gif

Homework Equations

This was in my exam last week, and i have no idea how to solve it... I've tried stating with the magnetic field of a straight wire, but i don't know how to relate that with the curl of A. Can you guys please help me out?
OhNoYaDidn't said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:
Code_Cogs_Eqn_2.gif

Homework Equations

Well I think at a great distance, we are talking about the magnetic field of the radiated EM wave. These fields, when radiated from a short conductor, will fall off inversely with distance, have a maximum at 90 degrees to the conductor and a radiation pattern which falls off with the cosine of this angle. Maybe this description will help?

Related to Magnetic field far from the origin

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by electric currents and results in the force of attraction or repulsion between magnetic materials.

2. How does the magnetic field change as distance from the origin increases?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases as distance from the origin increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

3. Can a magnetic field exist infinitely far from the origin?

In theory, a magnetic field can extend infinitely far from the origin. However, in reality, the strength of the field decreases to the point where it becomes undetectable at a certain distance.

4. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field far from the origin?

The strength of a magnetic field far from the origin is affected by the strength of the source, the distance from the source, and any intervening materials that may alter the field.

5. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined far from the origin?

The direction of a magnetic field at any point is determined by the direction of the magnetic force that would be experienced by a hypothetical test magnet placed at that point.