Magnetic field due at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic field due to a curved wire segment using the Biot-Savart Law. The wire outlines a portion of an ellipse, meaning that the angle between dS and r hat changes at every point along the wire and the distance between point P and the wire also changes at every point along the wire. The integral for the magnetic field is difficult to solve, but it can be simplified by using the equation for an ellipse.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field due to a curved wire segment.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law (differential form)

dB=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{d\vec{S}\times \hat{r}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we found the magnetic field at a point in space (point P) caused by the current running through a wire. Point P is equidistant from every point on the wire call this distance R. dS is a differential element that points along the wire and r hat points toward point P. The angle between dS and r hat is 90 degrees at all points.

The point P is essentially the center of a circle and the wire outlines the edge of a circle.

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{d\vec{S}\times \hat{r}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{|d\vec{S}||\hat{r}|sinθ}{r^{2}}[/itex]

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi R^{2}}[/itex]∫[itex]dS(1)sin90^{o}[/itex]

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i S}{4\pi R^{2}}[/itex] S=R[itex]θ_{1}[/itex]
where [itex]θ_{1}[/itex] is the angle swept out between one end of the wire and point P and the other end the wire and point P.

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i R θ_{1} }{4\pi R^{2}}[/itex]

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i θ_{1} }{4\pi R}[/itex]

OK punchline.

I was thinking how could I find the magnetic field at point P due to a piece of wire that outlines a portion of an ellipse. This would mean that the angle between dS and r hat would be a different angle at every point on the wire and the distance between point P and the wire would be different at every point along the wire.

So the integral would be

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{dS sinθ}{r^{2}}[/itex] where S,θ, and r are all variables. How would I integrate this?

dS=drdθ where dθ the angle between dS and r hat and dr is the infinitesimal change of the radius as the integral adds from one end of the wire to the other end.

B=[itex]\frac{\mu_{o}i}{4\pi}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{drdθ sinθ}{r^{2}}[/itex]

This is as far as I can get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In retrospect maybe I shouldn't say the wire outlines an ellipse. I just want a wire the satisfies the conditions that the angle between dS and r hat changes at every point along the wire and the distance between point P and the wire changes at every point along the wire. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking the wire is a portion of the ellipse or the whole thing? I got the impression you were talking about a piece of wire that was just curved, but if it is a whole ellipse then the field will be zero t the center just like a circle.

Were I doing it I would use the equation for an ellipse in the integral and go from there.

An ellipse is

[itex]r(\theta) = \frac{ab}{\sqrt{(b^2\cos^2\theta)+(a^2\sin^2(\theta)}}[/itex]

so plugging into B-S law:

$$B = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi} \int \frac{r (b^2\cos^2\theta)+(a^2\sin^2\theta)d\theta}{(ab)^2}= \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi (ab)}\int \sqrt{(b^2\cos^2\theta)+(a^2\sin^2 \theta)} d\theta$$

which is a very ugly looking integral.

Likes 1 person

Related to Magnetic field due at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is characterized by its direction and strength.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a wire outlining an ellipse?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. In the case of a wire outlining an ellipse, the shape of the wire will determine the shape of the magnetic field.

3. How does the magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse differ from that of a straight wire?

The magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse will vary in direction and strength depending on the location of the point, whereas the magnetic field of a straight wire will be constant in direction and strength along its length.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse is affected by the distance from the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the angle between the wire and the point.

5. How can the magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse be calculated?

The magnetic field at a point due to a wire outlining an ellipse can be calculated using the equation B = (μ0 * I * a * b) / 2 * (a^2 * cos^2θ + b^2 * sin^2θ)^3/2, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability constant, I is the current, a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and θ is the angle between the wire and the point.