Magnetic Field Direction in a Square Arrangement of Electric Currents

In summary, the conversation is about determining the direction of the magnetic field at points a, b, and c in a square with four electric currents. The direction at all points is down, as the currents flowing out of the page also contribute to the magnetic field at point c. The analytical solution can be used to accurately calculate the amount of magnetic field at each point.
singh390
This problem doens't seem hard, but I am rusty on the right hand rule...
Four electric currents, equal in magnitude are arranged at the corners of a square as shown in the figure.
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2654/fourcurrents7jc.jpg
Two currents go into the page (marked by x), and two are pointing out of the page (marked by a dot). Point a is at the center of the square, and points b and c are in the middle of two of the sides. What is the direction of the magnetic field at points a, b, and c?
I am guessing a and b are down and c is zero? Is this right? I am screwed if I get this problem wrong :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All three are down. Most likely you forgot that the currents that are flowing out of the page contribute to the magnetic field at C.

You proably want to calculate contribution of magnetic field from each current carrying line at the points of interest. the analytical solution will tell you how much magnetic field is there...

NageTG why are you sure that the direction of magnetic field is down at all three points?

yup, I got it. They're all down. Thanks!

Related to Magnetic Field Direction in a Square Arrangement of Electric Currents

What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. This flow is typically caused by the movement of electrons.

How is an electric current measured?

An electric current is measured in amperes (A), which is the unit of electric current. This measurement is typically taken using a device called an ammeter.

What are the types of electric currents?

There are four types of electric currents: direct current (DC), alternating current (AC), pulsating direct current, and pulsating alternating current. DC flows in one direction, while AC alternates direction periodically.

What factors affect the strength of an electric current?

The strength of an electric current is affected by the voltage, resistance, and type of material through which it is flowing. Higher voltage and lower resistance will result in a stronger current.

What are the practical applications of electric currents?

Electric currents have numerous practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, providing lighting, and operating motors. They are also used in various industrial processes and medical treatments.