Magnetic field created in a perpendicular point

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses using the Biot-Savart law to determine the magnetic field at a specific point P, which lies on the same axis as the wire carrying the current. The homework equation used is dB = (u_0 / 4π) * (I dl x [r vector] / r^2) and the attempt at a solution involves finding the angle θ between the [r vector] and the direction of current. It is also mentioned that the Biot-Savart law only gives the magnitude, not the direction, of the magnetic field and that the right hand rule can be used to determine the direction.
heruh4ra

Homework Statement

The idea is that we have a current in a wire, and the B magnetic field is to be known in a specific point P. This point P is in the same straight line as the part of the wire we are interested in.

For example, in the attached image the problem would be to know the field that is created by "side A" which is in the same axis as point "P", in this point "P".

Homework Equations

Biot&Savart

dB = (u_0 / 4π) * (I dl x [r vector] / r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

dB = (u_0 / 4π) * (I dl sin(θ) / r^2)

Since θ is the angle between [r vector] and dl and this angle θ=0 degrees, sin(0) = 0, so there is no magnetic field at P created by side A from the current

Attachments

• campo.jpg
    campo.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
in side A.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this problem. I agree with your attempt at a solution using the Biot-Savart law. However, I would like to point out that the angle θ should be between the [r vector] and the direction of current, rather than the [r vector] and dl. This means that θ=0 degrees in this case, as dl and the direction of current are parallel.

Additionally, I would like to mention that the Biot-Savart law only gives the magnitude of the magnetic field, not the direction. In order to determine the direction of the magnetic field at point P, we would need to use the right hand rule or the right hand grip rule, depending on the orientation of the wire and the direction of the current.

I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Magnetic field created in a perpendicular point

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on magnetic materials or charged particles. It is created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic moment of elementary particles.

How is a magnetic field created in a perpendicular point?

A magnetic field can be created in a perpendicular point by passing an electric current through a wire that is oriented perpendicular to the point. The electric current creates a circular magnetic field around the wire, with the point being at the center of the circle.

What is the direction of a magnetic field at a perpendicular point?

The direction of the magnetic field at a perpendicular point is perpendicular to both the direction of the current flowing through the wire and the direction of the point itself. This means that the magnetic field will be oriented at a right angle to the wire and the point.

How can the strength of a magnetic field at a perpendicular point be measured?

The strength of a magnetic field at a perpendicular point can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or a digital sensor to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific point.

What are some real-world applications of a magnetic field at a perpendicular point?

The magnetic field created at a perpendicular point has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in navigation systems like compasses and GPS devices.