Magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a point in the center of a cube using the Biot-Savart Law. There is a discrepancy between the suggested answer and the answer obtained using the law, and the conversation focuses on finding the correct approach to the problem. The conversation also touches on using the right-hand rule and visualizing vectors to understand the direction of the field. The final conclusion is that the root 2/3 in the suggested answer comes from the geometry of the problem, and the conversation ends with the question of where the calculation may have gone wrong.
Schecter5150

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field at a point p in the center of the cube with side length 2b.

cube.jpg

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted using the biot-savart law, but my answer contradicts what someone told us as a hint. Supposedly the magnitude of the field at the bottom-front edge of the cube is B = U_o*I*sqrt(2/3)/(4*pi*b).

I get U_o*I*-(Ux+Uz)/(4*pi*b) as the B-field experienced at p from the bottom-front edge. What might I be doing wrong?

I have dl = -dx*Uy
r(hat) = (-Ux+Uz)/sqrt(2)
integrated from -b to b for any given side

Any ideas as to where this difference is coming from? I would imagine by symmetry that sides with opposing currents will cancel out the B-fields at P (i.e. bottom front and back).

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good problem.
I'd start out with the right hand rule, and draw in some vectors at the center to see where each segment directs the field

Ok, that helps me visualize it a bit better. I'm still concerned about the magnitude of the side I first calculated though. I cannot see how they can get sqrt(2/3).

Using the RHR, my vectors match up for the first three sides on the base of the cube. However, when I calculate the vector for the side when the current travels upward, my vector doesn't make sense. I don't know whether to approach it as Uz*dz X (Ux-Uy) as my resultant vector is (Ux+Uy) which seems to make sense by the RHR but isn't obvious to me at this point. I also have the same concern with approaching from the top of the cube. For example, the top back side gives me (Ux+Uz) when I approach it via a right triangle of vectors, yet the RHR leads me to believe it is actually (Ux+Uz). Could you please clarify for me which of these is the correct approach?

In any side, I obtain the coefficient Uo*I/(4*pi*b) which makes sense due to symmetry. I am just mainly concerned about the advice I received prior to starting this problem, as I cannot see how they could obtain such a value.

EDIT: On second thought, would the vector for the bottom front side actually be in the (Ux-Uz) direction? The RHR leads me to believe so. I think I may have been trying to visualize vectors for the electric field instead.

Thanks

Last edited:
What corner are you setting as the coordinate origin?

Think about RHR and vector using pairs of parallel wires---that way your resultant vectors are in the cartesian directions (i.e. perpendicular to the faces of the cube).

And the root 2/3 surely comes from the geometry, namely the 1/root(3) from the pythagorean theorem.

I've started using a coordinate system based with the origin at the left-front corner.

So with the biot-savart law with the bottom front I get:

dl = -Uy*dy
r(hat) = (-sqrt(2)*b*Ux-b*Uz)/(sqrt(3)*b)
r = (sqrt(3)*b)

so then for dl x r(hat) I end up with: ((-sqrt(2)*b*Uz + b*Ux)/(sqrt(3)*b)*dy

When I integrate from y=0 to y=2b I end up with:

B = (Uo*I/(6*pi))*(-sqrt(2)*Uz+Ux)/(sqrt(3)*b) .

This still doesn't match up with what I was told. Where am I going wrong? I can't think of a sensible way to show that the radius changes as it moves along the length of the wire.

Last edited:

Related to Magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires

What is a magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires?

A magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires refers to the strength and direction of the magnetic field that is generated at the exact center of a cube-shaped arrangement of wires.

How is the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the current flowing through each wire and their respective distances from the center. It can also be calculated using the right-hand rule and the properties of magnets.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the material of the wires. It also depends on the orientation and shape of the wires.

Can the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires can be manipulated by changing the amount of current flowing through the wires or by changing the orientation and shape of the wires. It can also be affected by external magnetic fields.

What are the practical applications of studying the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires?

Studying the magnetic field at the center of a cube of wires is useful for understanding the behavior of electromagnets, motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields. It also has applications in industries such as energy, transportation, and telecommunications.