Magnetic field at origin because of 3 wires

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnetic field at the origin due to a current loop shown in a figure. The equations considered include Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law, with the conclusion that the former is the appropriate formula to use. The discussion also mentions the limitations of the Biot-Savart law and the need for symmetry in using Ampere's law.
irishbob

Homework Statement

Determine the magnetic field (in terms of I, a, and d) at the origin due to the current loop shown in Figure P30.14. (Use mu_0 for µ0, pi for π, a, d, and I as necessary.)

http://www.webassign.net/pse/pse6_p30-14.gif

Homework Equations

B=mu_0(I)/(2pi*r) for straight lines

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.webassign.net/cgi-bin/symimage.cgi?expr=2%28%28mu_0%29I%29%2F%282pi%2Asqrt%28d^2%2Ba^2%29%29-%28mu_0%29I%2F%282pi%2Ad%29&size=4

What I did was, since the ones on the left and right are equal, and in the same direction, I found the distance between the two wires (the square root in the equation), plugged that in for r, and multiplied it by 2. For the horizontal wire, I just plugged d into r. This is in the opposite direction by right hand rule, so I made it negative.

What am I doing wrong? Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
irishbob said:

Homework Equations

B=mu_0(I)/(2pi*r) for straight lines
That equation only works when the wires can be considered infinitely long. That is not the case here.

Do you have any other formulas that deal the magnetic field due to a wire of any length?

Ah.

Well there's the B-S law
B=(μ_0*I)/(4pi)*∫(d*(l x r(hat))/r^2

and

Ampere's law:
∫(enclosed) B·dl=μ_0 I(enclosed)

and for Ampere's it has to be highly symmetrical with constant field for us to use it easily.

I still don't know which to use. It seems like it would be difficult to use Ampere's law because the field isn't uniform. Or is it? I'm not so great at this :P

The Biot-Savart law is the one to use.

Thanks! :D

Related to Magnetic field at origin because of 3 wires

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons in a wire, and is responsible for the interaction between magnets and other materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created by 3 wires at the origin?

When electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. When multiple wires are placed close to each other, their magnetic fields interact with each other and create a combined magnetic field at the origin. This is known as the superposition principle.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field at the origin?

The direction of the current in each wire determines the direction of the magnetic field it creates. If the currents in the three wires are flowing in the same direction, the magnetic fields will add up and result in a stronger magnetic field at the origin. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel out and there will be no magnetic field at the origin.

4. What factors determine the strength of the magnetic field at the origin?

The strength of the magnetic field at the origin is determined by the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through each wire, and the angle between the wires. The closer the wires are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Similarly, the higher the current and the smaller the angle between the wires, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. How can the magnetic field at the origin be calculated?

The magnetic field at the origin can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the distance between the wires, the current in each wire, and the angle between the wires. This law is based on experimental observations and mathematical calculations. Alternatively, it can also be measured using a magnetometer.