Magnetic field around a wire near ferrous materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field surrounding a current-carrying wire and how it may be affected by the presence of other objects, particularly ones with high or low permeability. The formula for calculating the magnetic field around the wire is provided and it is noted that the field will be distorted if other objects are close to the wire. It is suggested that the presence of high permeability materials will make the magnetic field stronger and that the field will still flow in a concentric circle. It is also mentioned that if the goal is to exert a stronger force on a low permeability object, the resulting magnetic field will have a stronger effect on it.
EddieP
I was wondering if I could ask a question on the magnetic field surrounding a current-carrying wire, and how this field might change with the presence of other, ferrous materials nearby.

I have been using this web page
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c3
to calculate the magnetic field around the wire, which the page shows moving in concentric circles.
The site gives the formula B = (μ0*I)/(2*pi*r) Where I is the current in Amperes, and r is the distance from the wire in meters.
This formula is for a wire surrounded by air, but I am wondering what might happen if some other objects were close to the wire (as close as r in the formula)

I am interested in a situation where a high permeability object and a low permeability object are positioned equal distance from the wire.
I am assuming the presence of the high permeability material would make the magnetic field around the wire stronger.
Would the field would still flow in a concentric circle, or would the field be diverted in the direction of the high permeability material?
If the goal was to exert a stronger force on the low permeability object, would the resulting magnetic field have a stronger effect on the low permeability object?

Physics news on Phys.org
EddieP said:
I am wondering what might happen if some other objects were close to the wire
The magnetic field will be distorted. Think of if you have to travel some ( long ) distance by car, you will prefer to use the highway for a long distance, though the total distance ( distance on highway + distance on smaller roads ) may become some longer. You are choosing the fastest way, not the shortest.

The material with the high permeability is the highway, air is the smaller road.

upload_2015-7-11_21-17-45.png

EddieP said:
If the goal was to exert a stronger force on the low permeability object, would the resulting magnetic field have a stronger effect on the low permeability object?
Yes, because the path through the air has been shortened a bit, thus the field strength of the magnetic field, measured in the unit [ A/m ], has increased outside the object with high permeability, and thus at the location of the low permeability object. ( I don't know if that is understandable? ).

Related to Magnetic field around a wire near ferrous materials

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of electricity through a wire. It can also be produced by magnets and other magnetic materials.

How does a wire create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The strength of this field is determined by the amount of current flowing through the wire and the distance from the wire.

What is the effect of ferrous materials on the magnetic field around a wire?

Ferrous materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are attracted to magnetic fields. When placed near a wire with a magnetic field, these materials can become temporarily magnetized and align with the field, causing a distortion in the field's shape and strength.

How does the distance between the wire and ferrous material affect the magnetic field?

The closer the ferrous material is to the wire, the stronger the magnetic field will be in that area. As the distance increases, the strength of the field decreases. This is because the magnetic field follows the inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

Can the magnetic field around a wire near ferrous materials be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire or by using other magnetic materials to either amplify or cancel out the field. This is the basis for many applications, such as electromagnets and magnetic shielding.