Magnetic Field around a Bundle of Wires

In summary, the problem involves a bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires arranged in a cylinder with a radius of 0.800 cm. Each wire carries 1.50 A of current. The question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle. Using the equation B = (mu_0 * I * r) / (2 * pi * R^2), where B is the magnetic field, mu_0 is 4*pi*e-7, I is 1.5 A, r is 0.002 m, and R is 0.008 m, the answer obtained was 9.
martellaj

Homework Statement

A packed bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires forms a cylinder of radius R = 0.800 cm. If each wire carries 1.50 A, what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle?

2. The attempt at a solution
My friend and I have been going over this problem for a while - this is what we have come up with so far:

Without a picture, we have decided the bundle is like a pull and peel Twizzler, just a bundle of 100 straight wires. The radius that we're attempting to find the force per unit length is .200 cm away, which is obviously smaller than the radius of the entire bundle so we're using:

B = (mu_0 * I * r) / (2 * pi * R^2)

- B is the magnetic field
- mu_0 is 4*pi*e-7
- I is 1.5 A
- r is .002 m
- R is .008 m

The answer we got was something like 9.375e-4, which is apparently within 10% to 100% of the actual answer, so the answer will be in the e-4 magnitude.

Any help would be great, and sorry I couldn't write the equation all fancy-like. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I forgot to mention that we did in fact multiply the equation used by 100 to take in account of all 100 wires.

Can anyone solve this in 3 minutes? It'd be great.

Related to Magnetic Field around a Bundle of Wires

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge and can exert a force on other magnets or electrically charged particles.

2. How does a bundle of wires create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. A bundle of wires with electric current flowing through them will produce a combined magnetic field with stronger and more complex patterns.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field in a bundle of wires?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current in all the wires is flowing in the same direction, the magnetic field lines will be parallel. If the current is flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic field lines will cancel out and create a weaker or no magnetic field.

4. Can the strength of the magnetic field around a bundle of wires be changed?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can be changed by altering the current in the wires. Increasing the current will increase the strength of the magnetic field, while decreasing the current will weaken it.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the magnetic field around a bundle of wires?

Understanding the magnetic field around a bundle of wires is important in various industries, such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation. It is also crucial in designing devices such as motors, generators, and transformers.