Magnetic Field above a Rectangular Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field along an axis parallel to the z-axis, going through the intersection of a rectangle's diagonals. The Biot-Savart law is used, with an integration along one side of the circuit and doubling the result to account for symmetry. The conversation also addresses the issue of the angle changing throughout the integral and confirms that it is not negligible.
Contingency

Homework Statement

On the XY there lies a conducting wire-rectangle with sides parallel to the axis.
The current is given and constant.
What is the magnitude of the magnetic field along an axis parallel to the z axis, going through the intersection of the rectangle's diagonals?

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec { dB } =\frac { I }{ c{ \left| \vec { r } \right| }^{ 3 } } \vec { dl } \times \vec { r } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to symmetry, I can expect the field along this axis to be in the z direction. I can integrate along just one of each pair of the circuit's sides and double the result.
What I'm having trouble with is the cross product in Biot-Savart's Law - it seems to me that the angle [itex] { \theta }_{ \vec { dl } ,\vec { r } } [/itex]changes throughout the integral. If this is true then it seems the calculation of the field is not too easy..
I'd just like to make sure I'm correct before I get into it - does [itex] { \theta }_{ \vec { dl } ,\vec { r } } [/itex]change throughout the integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remind yourself how the calculation goes for an infinite line of current using the Biot-Savart law. The same calculation will apply to each piece of the loop, just with finite integration bounds.

I haven't calculated that field with Biot-Savart.. But I presume the implied answer is that the angle changes and this is not negligible.. Right?

Yes, the angle changes. It is usually one of the first calculations done in any EM text after introducing the Biot-Savart law. You can take at look at "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, for instance.

Your understanding of the problem and approach to solving it is correct. The angle between the current element and the distance vector does indeed change throughout the integral. However, this can be taken into account by breaking the integral into smaller segments and considering the contributions from each segment separately. As long as the angle is properly accounted for in each segment, the overall result will be correct. Additionally, the symmetry of the problem can be used to simplify the calculation.

Related to Magnetic Field above a Rectangular Circuit

1. What is a magnetic field above a rectangular circuit?

A magnetic field above a rectangular circuit is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles due to the presence of a current-carrying conductor in the shape of a rectangle.

2. How is the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit calculated?

The magnetic field above a rectangular circuit can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2π * r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the rectangle to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit?

The strength of the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the circuit, the distance from the circuit to the point where the field is being measured, and the shape and orientation of the circuit.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit?

The direction of the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field above a rectangular circuit?

The magnetic field above a rectangular circuit has various applications in everyday life, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in magnetic levitation systems for transportation. Additionally, it is used in compasses and other navigation tools.