Magnetic Disturbances Affecting a Transformer Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a 250kVA, 11kV/50Hz single phase transformer with 80 turns on the secondary coil. The approximate values of the primary and secondary currents are calculated to be 22.7A and 1041.6A, respectively. The approximate number of primary turns is found to be 3667 turns, and the magnitude of the flux is calculated to be 13.5 mWb. For Part B, it is stated that the transient signal will have little effect on the system due to the scaling down of the output and ideal transformer conditions. It is suggested to assume an ideal transformer and consider the ratio between primary and secondary voltages and currents.
lewisbedwell

Homework Statement

Part A:

A 250kVA, 11kV/50Hz supply single phase transformer has 80-turns on the secondary coil, calculate:
i. The approximate values of the primary and secondary currents:
ii. The approximate number of primary turns
iii. The magnitude of the flux in Wb

I think I have managed to conquer part A, however it is part B which I am struggling with:

A transient disturbance signal affects the current on the primary coil and is in the form of a sinusoidal current signal caused by a magnetic coupling. Discuss the effect of this transient upon the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the secondary voltage is 240:

The approximate values of the primary and secondary currents:
250000/11000=22.7A
250000/240=1041.6A

ii. The approximate number of primary turns

((11000).(80))/240=3667 turns

iii. The magnitude of the flux in Wb
240 =(4.44).(80).(50).(ϕ_M)

φ = 13.5 mWb

For Part B:

I think that the transient signal will have very little affect on the system because it is being scaled down to a point of 45 times lower than what is on the primary coil. I therefore believe that the disturbance signal will be so weak on the output that it will have a negligible affect on the system.

I was wondering if anyone could help clarify if I am on the right lines or I have missed the point all together? Thanks so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget though that the secondary current is many times bigger than the primary current.

Hint: assume an ideal transformer (primary and secondary inductances = ∞, unity coupling). What does that imply about the ratio between primary and secondary voltages and currents?

Likes 1 person

Related to Magnetic Disturbances Affecting a Transformer Question

1. What are magnetic disturbances?

Magnetic disturbances refer to any changes or disruptions in the magnetic field surrounding a transformer. These changes can be caused by various factors such as nearby power lines, lightning strikes, or changes in the Earth's magnetic field.

2. How do magnetic disturbances affect a transformer?

Magnetic disturbances can cause fluctuations in the voltage and current levels within a transformer, which can lead to performance issues and even damage the transformer if the disturbance is strong enough. These disturbances can also create noise and interference in the electrical system.

3. How can magnetic disturbances be detected?

Magnetic disturbances can be detected through various methods such as using specialized equipment like magnetometers or by monitoring the transformer's performance for any unusual changes. Additionally, utilities may also use remote monitoring systems to detect and track disturbances in real-time.

4. How can magnetic disturbances be mitigated?

There are several ways to mitigate the effects of magnetic disturbances on a transformer. These include installing shielding around the transformer, using surge arresters to protect against voltage spikes, and implementing grounding systems to divert excess currents. Utilities may also use advanced technologies like dynamic voltage restorers to help regulate and stabilize the power supply.

5. Can magnetic disturbances be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent magnetic disturbances, utilities and power companies can take measures to minimize their impact. This includes regularly inspecting and maintaining transformers, monitoring and addressing any potential issues in the power grid, and implementing protective measures as mentioned earlier. Additionally, proper planning and design of the power system can also help reduce the risk of magnetic disturbances.