Magnetic Circuit with diferent section

In summary, the given magnetic circuit consists of two cores in series with average lengths of 40 cm and 10 cm respectively, made of ferromagnetic material with permeability values of 1000 and 2000. The magnetic flux and the length and direction of the three vectors in each material need to be found. Using boundary conditions, Ampère's Law, and the linearity of the materials, the magnetic flux is calculated to be 1.12T. However, this solution may not satisfy the boundary conditions and further analysis is needed.
libelec

Homework Statement

Given the following magnetic circuit:
2uh9yzn.jpg

It's constituted by two cores in serie. The first one has an average length of 40 cm and the second of 10 cm. Both are made of ferromagnetic material, which can be considered lineal and with [tex]\mu[/tex]r1 = 1000 for the first one, and [tex]\mu[/tex]r2 = 2000 for the second one. Additionally S1= 1 cm2, S2 = 1,5 cm2, I = 2A and N = 200.

1) Find the magnetic flux.
2) Find the length of each of the 3 vectors in each material, and indicate their direction.

Homework Equations

1- Boundary conditions: B1n (the magnetic field in the first core) = B2n.

2- [tex]\mathop{{\int\!\!\!\!\!\int}\mkern-21mu \bigcirc}\limits_S
{\vec B \cdot d\vec s = 0}[/tex]

3- Extention of Ampère's Law: [tex]\oint\limits_C {\vec H \cdot d\vec l} = NI[/tex]

4- Since we are considering the materials lineal: [tex]\vec B = \mu \vec H[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I know that because of the canalization effect, B (and therefore H) is going to be as parallel as possible to the circuit. So, except in the corners, B is parallel to the circuit's "walls". I also know that B, H and M outside the circuit are equal to zero.

Well, the first thing I thought was using the extention of Ampère's Law. Since I don't know exactly how to find a curve C that best fits the situation, but I'm given the average length for each core, I guess it doesn't matter. So:

[tex]\oint\limits_C {\vec H \cdot d\vec l = \int\limits_{\mu _1 } {\vec H_1 \cdot d\vec l} } + \int\limits_{\mu _2 } {\vec H_2 \cdot d\vec l} = H_1 .0,4m + H_2 .0,1m = NI[/tex]

Then, because of the boundary condition (2), [tex]B_{\mu _1 n} = B_{\mu _2 n}[/tex]. But because in both boundaries both [tex]B_{\mu _1 }[/tex] and [tex]B_{\mu _2 }[/tex] are normal to the contact surface, then [tex]B_{\mu _1 } = B_{\mu _2 } = B[/tex].

Using the relation (4): [tex]\frac{{B_{\mu _1 } }}{{\mu _1 }} = H_1 [/tex] and [tex]\frac{{B_{\mu _2 } }}{{\mu _2 }} = H_2 [/tex].

Replacing this into the first equation: [tex]\frac{B}{{\mu _1 }}.0,4m + \frac{B}{{\mu _2 }}.0,1m = B\left( {\frac{{0,4m}}{{\mu _1 }} + \frac{{0,1m}}{{\mu _2 }}} \right) = NI[/tex]. Then I find that [tex]B = \frac{{NI}}{{\left( {\frac{{0,4m}}{{\mu _1 }} + \frac{{0,1m}}{{\mu _2 }}} \right)}} = 1,12T[/tex].

The thing is that I think this is wrong, because then I will find one flux for the section S1 and another for the section S2. Also, I wouldn't satisfy condition (2).

But if I begin using that condition, I find that [tex]B_{\mu _1 } = B_{\mu _2 } .1,5
[/tex], which violates the boundary condition (1) (MathType doesn't let me copypaste any double integrals, but this comes from calculating the magnetic flux through a close surface S that includes both sections S1 and S2).

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody, please?

Related to Magnetic Circuit with diferent section

1. What is a magnetic circuit with different section?

A magnetic circuit with different section refers to a circuit in which the cross-sectional area of the magnetic material varies along its length. This can affect the magnetic flux and thus the performance of the circuit.

2. What factors affect the performance of a magnetic circuit with different section?

The performance of a magnetic circuit with different section can be affected by factors such as the length of the circuit, the magnetic material used, and the variation in cross-sectional area.

3. How does the cross-sectional area affect the magnetic circuit?

The cross-sectional area of a magnetic circuit affects the amount of magnetic flux that can pass through it. A larger cross-sectional area allows for more flux, while a smaller area limits the amount of flux that can pass through.

4. What is the importance of a magnetic circuit with different section in electrical engineering?

A magnetic circuit with different section is important in electrical engineering as it allows for the design and optimization of magnetic devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. By varying the cross-sectional area, engineers can control the magnetic flux and thus the performance of these devices.

5. How can the performance of a magnetic circuit with different section be improved?

The performance of a magnetic circuit with different section can be improved by using high-quality magnetic materials, minimizing air gaps, and carefully designing the cross-sectional area to optimize the magnetic flux. Additionally, proper insulation and shielding can also improve the performance of the circuit.