Magnetic ball falling inside conducting tube

In summary, the problem involves a magnetic ball with magnetization M, mass m, and radius R falling through a conducting tube with radius slightly larger than R, thickness Δ, and conductivity σ. The ball is not rotating and its magnetization is oriented vertically down. The student is struggling to solve the problem and has found a paper discussing a similar scenario using an approximation with two monopoles, but is unsure how to apply it to their own situation with a single dipole.
masterjoda

Homework Statement

I have a magnetic ball with magnetization M, mass m and radius R that starts to fall from rest through conducting tube of radius a little big larger than R, thickness [itex]\Delta[/itex] and conductivity [itex]\sigma[/itex]. The ball is not rotating, it said that magnetization is oriented vertically down.

Homework Equations

Professor send me this problem, usually I know how to solve the problems that he sends me, but his one I don't know even how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
They here use approximation with two monopoles but in my case I have a sphere and I think I sound me approximation with a one dipole but I don't know how to write flux then?

Related to Magnetic ball falling inside conducting tube

What is the purpose of a conducting tube in the magnetic ball falling experiment?

The conducting tube is used to create a closed loop for the magnetic field to travel through. This allows for the magnetic ball to experience a resistance force as it falls through the tube.

How does the magnetic ball falling inside a conducting tube demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism?

The experiment shows how a moving magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor, as well as how a changing magnetic field can create a resistance force. This is in line with the principles of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law.

What factors affect the speed at which the magnetic ball falls inside the conducting tube?

The speed of the falling magnetic ball is affected by the strength of the magnet, the length and diameter of the conducting tube, and the presence of any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the experiment.

Can the magnetic ball falling inside a conducting tube be used to generate electricity?

Yes, the movement of the magnetic ball through the conducting tube can generate an electric current, which can be harnessed to power devices. However, the amount of electricity produced is relatively small and not practical for large-scale use.

Are there any real-world applications for the magnetic ball falling inside a conducting tube experiment?

Yes, this experiment has practical applications in the design of generators and motors, as well as in the study of electromagnetic fields and induction. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism.