Magnet Through Coil Clarification

In summary, the conversation is about Faraday's Law and how it relates to building a mini electric generator. The law states that voltage generated is equal to the number of turns multiplied by the negative rate of magnetic flux. The question at hand is whether wrapping a copper coil 200 times around a single ring or four rings (each with a diameter of 1/4 of the single ring) would generate greater voltage. The clarification needed is regarding the comparison of the total area of the four rings to the area of the single ring.
aseylys
Hey guys. I'm building a mini electric generator and I would like some clarification on Faraday's Law.

So his law states that:

V=-N*(ΔBA)/(Δt)
Where voltage generated equals the number of turns times the negative rate of magnetic flux.

So my question regards the number of turns part. So my hypothetical situations involve one with a single ring and another with four rings of 1/4 the diameter of the one ring. If I wrapped copper coil around the one ring 200 times would the voltage generated be greater than if I wrapped the copper wire around the four rings 200 times? Wrapping the wire around the four rings would be in a figure eight kind of motion.

Thanks for your input! Sorry I didn't have a picture, I couldn't find one or couldn't figure out a good way to illustrate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the total area of the four rings compare to the area of the single ring?

Related to Magnet Through Coil Clarification

1. What is the purpose of a magnet through coil experiment?

The purpose of a magnet through coil experiment is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor, such as a coil of wire.

2. How does a magnet through coil experiment work?

In a magnet through coil experiment, a magnet is moved through the center of a coil of wire. As the magnet moves, its magnetic field changes, which induces a current in the coil. The direction of the induced current depends on the direction of the magnet's movement and the orientation of the coil.

3. What materials are needed for a magnet through coil experiment?

To conduct a magnet through coil experiment, you will need a magnet, a coil of wire, and a power source. The coil of wire should be made of a conducting material, such as copper, and the magnet should be strong enough to induce a noticeable current in the coil.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnet through coil experiments?

Magnet through coil experiments have many practical applications, such as in generators and motors. These devices use the principles of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. They are commonly used in power plants, electric cars, and household appliances.

5. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a magnet through coil experiment?

The strength of the induced current in a magnet through coil experiment depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the speed and direction of its movement, and the number of turns in the coil. The closer the magnet is to the coil and the faster it moves, the stronger the induced current will be. Additionally, a larger number of turns in the coil will result in a stronger induced current.