Magnet Strength & Computer Safety: Debating Teslas

In summary, the conversation revolved around the potential harm of a computer from magnetic fields. The question was how many teslas would it take to harm a computer, and the opinions varied. It was discussed that computers do not have many transformers and have protection networks that can withstand high voltages. Also, hard disk drives and other components are shielded, making them less vulnerable to magnetic fields. Ultimately, it was concluded that the magnetic eraser in question, which had a flux of 0.155 teslas, would not be strong enough to cause any damage to the computer.
derekmohammed
Magnetic Eraser?

Hi,
My friend and I were arguing about this the other day and I wanted some input from you guys:

How many teslas would it take to potentially harm a computer. In the lab we use a .155Tesla magnet to move encased objects around in our rutherford scattering lab. I said that the magnet was not nearlly strong enough to harm a computer even if you put it right on its caseing. He said that even small magnets like fridge magnets could potentially harm a computer if waved around the caseing. He said the induced current would damage transformers. I differed saying that the induced current would be much to small and would have little effect even from the bigger 0.155 tesla magnet we were using.

Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Computers don't have many transformers. The power supply has at least one, but that's about it.

2) The induced currents caused by waving a magnet at a computer are incredibly tiny, and all modern integrated circuits have protection networks that can withstand kilovolts without damage. No problem there.

3) Hard disk drives and other media are vulnerable only to very high flux density magnetic fields, and only in certain orientations. The read/write head in a disk drive is very small and very very close to the disk surface, enabling it to create very high flux densities when writing. You'd have to get your magnet extremely close to the disk to create any real threat.

4) Finally, the most sensitive components in a computer are heavily shielded, and you'll just be inducing currents on the outside of the shield material.

- Warren

Thanks for the quick reply,

That is what i thought! The flux from the magent would not be nearly enough to do any damage. Thanks!

Related to Magnet Strength & Computer Safety: Debating Teslas

1. What is the difference between magnet strength and Tesla?

Magnet strength refers to the overall strength or power of a magnet, while Tesla is a unit of measurement for magnetic field strength. Magnet strength is typically measured in units of gauss, while Tesla is measured in units of tesla.

2. How does magnet strength affect computer safety?

Magnet strength can affect computer safety in two ways. First, if a magnet is strong enough, it can erase or corrupt data on a computer's hard drive. Second, strong magnets can interfere with the electrical components of a computer, causing malfunctions or even permanent damage.

3. Are all magnets equally dangerous to computers?

No, not all magnets are equally dangerous to computers. The strength of a magnet plays a significant role in its potential harm to a computer. However, other factors such as the proximity of the magnet to the computer and the type of hard drive also play a role.

4. Can a computer be protected from strong magnets?

Yes, there are several ways to protect a computer from strong magnets. One way is to use a shielded computer case, which can block the magnetic field. Another way is to store important data on an external hard drive or in the cloud, away from any strong magnets.

5. Is it safe to use magnets around a computer?

It is generally not recommended to use magnets around a computer, especially strong ones. However, small, weak magnets, such as those found in speakers or headphones, are usually not strong enough to cause harm to a computer.