Magnet Force: Calculate Force from 1T Magnet & Iron

In summary, the conversation discusses the force created by a one tesla permanent magnet on a flat piece of iron and the possibility of expressing this force in joules or watts. However, it is stated that there is not enough information to make this calculation. The conversation also mentions the conversion of force into energy and power, but it is clarified that this cannot be done directly. The necessary information for calculating potential energy is also discussed.
rukidding
Can anyone help me determine how much force is created when a one tesla permanent magnet is allowed to make contact with a flat piece of iron. The distance that this size magnet can be released and will be drawn to the iron is about 3 centimeters. Is there any way to express this force in joules or watts?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not enough info to do a calculation, but a typical 1T magnet that's about the size of a quarter, will stick to a flat piece of iron with a force of about 20lbs (about 100N). You can't express a force in units of joules or watts (those are units for energy and power). You can, however, calculate the potential energy of the magnet-iron system, and that will be a number in units of joules.

Gokul43201 said:
There's not enough info to do a calculation,

What other info is needed? Here's what is listed on this magnet:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DY0X0

Pull Force: 231.55 lbs
Surface Field: 7100 Gauss
Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
BHmax: 42 MGOe

Gokul43201 said:
but a typical 1T magnet that's about the size of a quarter, will stick to a flat piece of iron with a force of about 20lbs (about 100N).

With the above magnet,

if 20 lbs. equals 100 Newtons

then,

231 lbs. equals 1155 Newtons.

Is this correct?

Gokul43201 said:
You can't express a force in units of joules or watts (those are units for energy and power). You can, however, calculate the potential energy of the magnet-iron system, and that will be a number in units of joules.

When I go to online unit converters, I find that 1 watt = 1 joule = 1 Newton.

I realize these are different terms relating to different things; power, energy and force. But is this how you would calculate the potential energy?

rukidding said:

:bugeye: :eek: :mad:

Which converters give you that, so we can steer people away from them in the future?

rukidding said:
What other info is needed? Here's what is listed on this magnet:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DY0X0
Woah! That's a big one!

Pull Force: 231.55 lbs
Well, isn't this the information you are looking for?

With the above magnet,

if 20 lbs. equals 100 Newtons

then,

231 lbs. equals 1155 Newtons.

Is this correct?
Close, but a little high! To convert lbs to Newtons(N), multiply by 9.8/2.2 (or about 4.45).

This is completely nonsensical. What's true is that 1 Watt-second = 1 Joule = 1 Newton-meter. But this doesn't mean you can convert a force into an energy!

I realize these are different terms relating to different things; power, energy and force. But is this how you would calculate the potential energy?
No, it's not. Any real calculation of PE will be far more involved.

Last edited:

Related to Magnet Force: Calculate Force from 1T Magnet & Iron

1. What is magnet force and how is it calculated?

Magnet force is a type of physical force that results from the interaction between two magnetic objects. It is calculated using the formula F = BIL, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, I is the current in Amperes, and L is the length of the object in meters.

2. What is a 1T magnet and how does it affect the force calculation?

A 1T magnet is a magnet with a magnetic field strength of 1 Tesla. It is a unit used to measure the strength of a magnetic field. The higher the magnetic field strength, the greater the force calculation will be.

3. How does the type of material (e.g. iron) affect the force calculation?

The type of material used in the force calculation, such as iron, can affect the force because different materials have different magnetic properties. Iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can be easily magnetized, and therefore will have a greater force calculation compared to non-magnetic materials.

4. Can the force calculation be affected by the distance between the magnet and the object?

Yes, the force calculation can be affected by the distance between the magnet and the object. The force decreases as the distance between the two objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

5. How is magnet force used in everyday life?

Magnet force has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical equipment like MRI machines and can be found in electronic devices like laptops and smartphones. Additionally, magnets are commonly used to hold objects together, such as on refrigerators or in magnetic jewelry clasps.