Magnet Fields Dilemma: Moving vs. Still Charge

In summary, a moving electric charge will create a magnetic field which can interact with other magnetic fields to cause a force, as seen in the motor effect. However, if the charge is stationary, there will be no force. The distinction between electric and magnetic fields is somewhat arbitrary and depends on the coordinate system used to measure them. This can be seen in the example of a stationary charge and magnet not experiencing a force, but a moving charge and magnet experiencing a force due to the induced electric field. Additionally, an electric and magnetic field are not separate entities, but rather two aspects of the same phenomenon.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
A moving electric charge (moving relative to another object) will create a magnetic field around it. So if this charge moves passed a permanent magnet, their fields will interact and cause a force (basic principle of the motor effect).
However, if the electric charge is standing still in relation to the magnet, there won't be any force because the charge isn't emitting a magnetic field.

But if a 2nd magnet moves passed the still magnet and charge, neglecting the fact that the 2 magnets will affect each other, the charge and 2nd magnet now are moving relative to each other so the charge emits a magnetic field, causing a force between them. This means the magnetic field must have been there the whole time. How is it possible that the magnetic field can always be there, but not interact with the 1st magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
A moving electric charge (moving relative to another object) will create a magnetic field around it. So if this charge moves passed a permanent magnet, their fields will interact and cause a force (basic principle of the motor effect).
However, if the electric charge is standing still in relation to the magnet, there won't be any force because the charge isn't emitting a magnetic field.

There will be a force. The magnet is now moving.

But if a 2nd magnet moves passed the still magnet and charge, neglecting the fact that the 2 magnets will affect each other, the charge and 2nd magnet now are moving relative to each other so the charge emits a magnetic field, causing a force between them. This means the magnetic field must have been there the whole time. How is it possible that the magnetic field can always be there, but not interact with the 1st magnet?

The magnetic field is not there the whole time. It's somewhat artificial. It's values depend on the velocity of those measuring it.

Phrak said:
There will be a force. The magnet is now moving.
Yes, if they are moving relative to each other. Else, there is no force acting on the charge or magnet.

Phrak said:
The magnetic field is not there the whole time. It's somewhat artificial. It's values depend on the velocity of those measuring it.
ok, let's say the magnetic field isn't always there. When the 2nd magnet begins to move, a force will be acted upon the charge and the magnet since they're moving relative to each other. At this point, it is obvious the magnetic field is emitted from the electric charge, because there needs to be 2 fields to interact to create the force. But the 1st magnet would also be in this magnetic field emitted from the charge, but isn't affected...?

Mentallic said:
the charge and 2nd magnet now are moving relative to each other so the charge emits a magnetic field, causing a force between them.
No, the charge does not emit a magnetic field if the charge is stationary, the magnet emits an electric field when it moves. Remember Faraday's law, a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. It is this induced electric field which exerts the force on the stationary charge.

As Phrak mentioned, the distinction between electric and magnetic field is somewhat arbitrary and depends on the coordinate system used to measure them.

DaleSpam said:
No, the charge does not emit a magnetic field if the charge is stationary, the magnet emits an electric field when it moves. Remember Faraday's law, a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. It is this induced electric field which exerts the force on the stationary charge.
Ahh. this was never mentioned to us in class. Only that moving charges create magnetic fields, but not the other way around.

Ok this clears up my problem then. But what if the situation were to change such that there is now a 2nd charge moving constantly with the 2nd magnet? The 1st charge and 1st magnet are stationary relative to each other, so no force is being distributed upon them, but now they are both moving relative to the 2nd charge and 2nd magnet. There will be an interaction between the 1st magnet and 2nd charge, but not the 2nd magnet and 2nd charge.

DaleSpam said:
As Phrak mentioned, the distinction between electric and magnetic field is somewhat arbitrary and depends on the coordinate system used to measure them.
I don't completely understand this. Electric and magnetic fields are only distinguishable between each other by coordinate measuring systems?

Mentallic said:
But what if the situation were to change such that there is now a 2nd charge moving constantly with the 2nd magnet? The 1st charge and 1st magnet are stationary relative to each other, so no force is being distributed upon them, but now they are both moving relative to the 2nd charge and 2nd magnet. There will be an interaction between the 1st magnet and 2nd charge, but not the 2nd magnet and 2nd charge.
OK, the 2nd magnet is moving, so there is both a magnetic field and an induced electric field. The electric field obviously exerts a force on the 2nd charge, but since the 2nd charge is moving the magnetic field also exerts a force. It so happens that those two forces cancel each other out so that there is no net force from the 2nd magnet on the 2nd charge.

Mentallic said:
I don't completely understand this. Electric and magnetic fields are only distinguishable between each other by coordinate measuring systems?
This is a fairly advanced topic of special relativity and I don't want to confuse you. Don't worry about it too much for now. Just be aware that an electric and a magnetic field are not really separate things, they are two sides of the same coin as it were.

DaleSpam said:
OK, the 2nd magnet is moving, so there is both a magnetic field and an induced electric field. The electric field obviously exerts a force on the 2nd charge, but since the 2nd charge is moving the magnetic field also exerts a force. It so happens that those two forces cancel each other out so that there is no net force from the 2nd magnet on the 2nd charge.
Ahha! This explains it all :smile:
Thanks DaleSpam, I very much appreciate your help.

DaleSpam said:
This is a fairly advanced topic of special relativity and I don't want to confuse you. Don't worry about it too much for now. Just be aware that an electric and a magnetic field are not really separate things, they are two sides of the same coin as it were.
I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I'll be able to handle a more in-depth analysis on the topic in due time.

Mentallic said:
I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I'll be able to handle a more in-depth analysis on the topic in due time.

It's not too far a reach to see should be true. Take a simple beam of electrons. You know there's a magnetic field surrounding the wire from your studies. But if you could move along at the same speed as the electrons, they are now a stationary line of charge.

It might be good to remind you at this point that fields don't move, but the value of the field at any given point can change. This is by definition. Otherwise you might think that perhaps a moving magnetic field may somehow act differently than a stationary one.

Mentallic said:
Ahha! This explains it all :smile:
Thanks DaleSpam, I very much appreciate your help.

You are very welcome! I am sure you will be able to easily grasp it when you want to, but it seemed like you were just learning electromagnetism, so I didn't want to stray from the main topic. Please feel free to ask again when you get to that point and have questions.

Related to Magnet Fields Dilemma: Moving vs. Still Charge

1. What is the "Magnet Fields Dilemma"?

The "Magnet Fields Dilemma" refers to the debate among scientists about whether a moving magnetic field or a still electric charge produces a stronger magnetic field.

2. How does a moving magnetic field affect the strength of a magnetic field?

A moving magnetic field can increase the strength of a magnetic field by inducing a current in a nearby conductor or by causing the atoms in a material to align in the same direction, creating a stronger magnetic field.

3. How does a still electric charge affect the strength of a magnetic field?

A still electric charge does not directly affect the strength of a magnetic field. However, when a still electric charge moves, it creates a magnetic field around it due to the movement of electrons.

4. Which one is stronger, a moving magnetic field or a still electric charge?

There is no definitive answer to this question. It depends on the specific conditions and materials involved. In some cases, a moving magnetic field may produce a stronger magnetic field, while in others, a still electric charge may have a stronger effect.

5. Why is the "Magnet Fields Dilemma" important?

The "Magnet Fields Dilemma" is important because it affects our understanding of how magnetic fields are created and how they can be manipulated. It also plays a role in the development of technologies that utilize magnetic fields, such as electric motors and generators.