Magnesium and acid rates reactions

In summary, a student is conducting an investigation on the reaction between magnesium and acids of varying concentration, pH, and temperatures. They are unsure about the most suitable apparatus to use, but one suggestion is to record the time taken for a certain amount of H2 gas to be produced. Another suggestion is to use gas burets, but the student is concerned about accuracy when collecting hydrogen gas. However, it is reassured that the results will be accurate if the article is read carefully.
kjwale
[SOLVED] magnesium and acid rates reactions

im producing an investigation in the reaction between magnesium a solid metal, and acids of varying concentration, pH and temperatures. these variables are to produce results for comparison. however i am unsure about what apparatus would be most suitable, for this investigation eg heating acids safely, collecting gas products, timing them, volumes to be recorded.

one approach is to record the time taken for a certain amount of H2 gas to be produced in a reaction between Mg and HCl.

what would you suggest? any offers welcome.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I suggest you examine the effect of surface area as well as pH and concentration.

chemistree

thanks for the suggestions, i have already thought of these as investigations my question is what apparatus should i use to produce results usefull for comparison ie with a good degree of accuracy and minimal possible error.

perhaps someone can suggest such experiments and ideal apparatus?

Have you heard of gas burets? Try this.

ive heard of them, but i don't believe our chemistry budgit at college stretchs that far, I've been looking at measuring gas evolution using an inverted burette and a trough full of water etc but my worry is that I've used it before only to collect oxygen. here i will be collecting hydrogen and I am worried as an amatuer chemist whether i will get accurate readings as i can't think for the life of me wether hydrogen gas will react with the water giving inaccurate results.

You will be fine. Read the article more carefully.

Related to Magnesium and acid rates reactions

What is the relationship between magnesium and acid rates reactions?

Magnesium and acid rates reactions refer to the rate at which magnesium reacts with acid to form a new substance. This reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of acid, and surface area of the magnesium.

Why is magnesium used in acid rates reactions?

Magnesium is often used in acid rates reactions because it is a highly reactive metal. When it comes into contact with acid, it releases hydrogen gas and forms a new substance, making it a useful tool in studying reaction rates.

How does the concentration of acid affect the rate of reaction with magnesium?

The concentration of acid can greatly influence the rate of reaction with magnesium. A higher concentration of acid means there are more acid particles available to react with the magnesium, resulting in a faster rate of reaction.

What is the role of temperature in magnesium and acid rates reactions?

Temperature plays a crucial role in magnesium and acid rates reactions. An increase in temperature can speed up the reaction by providing more energy for the particles to collide, while a decrease in temperature can slow down the reaction.

How does the surface area of magnesium affect the rate of reaction with acid?

The surface area of magnesium can significantly impact the rate of reaction with acid. A larger surface area means more particles are exposed to the acid, leading to a faster rate of reaction. This is why magnesium is often used in powdered form in acid rates reactions.