How Does Teller Cut a Flower by Manipulating Its Shadow?

In summary, the magician cuts a flower with a shadow by moving the shadow. Blood is seen coming from behind the white screen. The trick may be done with a real or plastic flower, and photoperiodism is involved but it is not possible to tell from the video.
Raghav Gupta
This magic trick was performed by Teller on Penn and Teller: Fool us.
In this trick the magician is basically cutting a flower by doing movements on a shadow.
I don't see here sleight of hand or any threads attached. The screen may be recorded but how the real flower or artificial is being cut?
Anybody has some logic for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider... the flower is plastic and hollow.

The flower may be real to me! But it has been *deflowered* before it is introduced to the audience. ?:)
Everything seems to be done in a timely manner (The flower parts or joints where the cuts are done are made out of substances that are light-sensitive and so are probably cut by the light itself). He just needs to wait and watch when i.e a petal falls to make his slight cut move. Blood stain is implemented in the projector.
I like his long and sharp knife!

Silicon Waffle said:
The flower may be real to me! But it has been *deflowered* before it is introduced to the audience. ?:)
Everything seems to be done in a timely manner (The flower parts or joints where the cuts are done are made out of substances that are light-sensitive and so are probably cut by the light itself). He just needs to wait and watch when i.e a petal falls to make his slight cut move. Blood stain is implemented in the projector.
I like his long and sharp knife!
I was looking at photoperiodism,
but how is that leaf is falling first and then other parts? In photoperiodism parts not fall apart like that.
Also blood stain may be implemented by the projector but how the blood colour is appearing on screen.How in his hand red colour comes suddenly?

Raghav Gupta said:
I was looking at photoperiodism,
but how is that leaf is falling first and then other parts? In photoperiodism parts not fall apart like that.
Also blood stain may be implemented by the projector but how the blood colour is appearing on screen.How in his hand red colour comes suddenly?
I think it is done behind the white screen (see how his hand move closer to the screen, it is all set at that particular position where the stain begins to brush with his hand downward)
They won this law suit over a copycat version by a Belgium magician by the way.

Silicon Waffle said:
I think it is done behind the white screen (see how his hand move closer to the screen, it is all set at that particular position where the stain begins to brush with his hand downward)
They won this law suit over a copycat version by a Belgium magician by the way.
But blood is being seen from front.
How it can come from back into front?
Also what about photoperiodism?

The long shadow drip was projected, the red streak at the end comes from a small bladder of fake blood in his hand (palming small objects is a standard trick). The flower had to be broken b4 the trick, there are lots of ways to get the parts to fall off on cue. It may be that the shadow of the flower was back projected too... then the staging requires more timing.

It is not possible to tell, from the vid, if the flower is real or plastic: expensive plastic plants are that good.

There are a number of ways to do this trick... pick your favorite but usually the simplest approach is the one that got used.

Likes CWatters and Silicon Waffle

1. What is "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow"?

"Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" is a phrase that may be interpreted in many different ways and does not have a definitive meaning. It could refer to a fictional story or concept, a metaphor, or even a spell or ritual in certain belief systems.

2. Is "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" a real scientific term?

No, "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" is not a recognized scientific term. It is more likely to be used in literature or art as a creative expression.

3. Can "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" be explained by science?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer as "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" is not a specific concept or phenomenon. However, many aspects of magic and the supernatural have been studied and explained by science through psychological and sociological theories.

4. How does "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" relate to science?

There is no direct connection between "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" and science as it is not a scientific concept. However, some aspects of magic, such as illusion and misdirection, can be studied and understood through scientific principles.

5. Can "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" be proven to exist?

Since "Magic -- Deflowering a Shadow" is not a specific concept, it cannot be proven to exist in a scientific sense. It may exist in the realm of imagination and belief, but it cannot be tested or measured by scientific methods.