Macroscopic shape of rocket exhaust

In summary, the shape of a rocket exhaust plume changes with distance and the diameter of the plume will increase as it moves away from the nozzle. The book Rocket Propulsion Elements does not provide a direct answer, but it does mention a vacuum limit of 0.1-10 meters in diameter. To get a rough estimate, the temperature of the exhaust gas and its expansion velocity can be used to calculate a typical length scale. This can be done by using the thermal velocity, which is the velocity of a molecule with energy kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. As the gas expands, the temperature will decrease, but for a rough estimate, the temperature of the exhaust after leaving the rocket
Alonso Quixano
Greetings to everyone. I would like to ask how the shape of a rocket exhaust plume changes with distance, when the rocket operates in a vacuum. What I'm mainly looking for, is to see how large the diametre of the plume would be at a distance of ~20km from the nozzle. We're assuming an ordinary LH2/LOX fuel mix.

I took a look at Rocket Propulsion Elements, but I didn't manage to find the answer. It mainly concerns itself with how the plume changes depending on the surrounding atmosphere, and when it does mention a shape, it does so in a scale of a few metres. So, either it does not mention what I'm after, or I missed it completely.
(What I did find is this: In a small corner of a figure (p. 646, figure 18-4) there is a note that says "Vacuum limit 0.1-10 m dia.". I'm not sure if that answers my question, however, mainly because I'm worried that the diametre will increase with distance.)

Many thanks in advance.

(Edit: I'm posting this in "General Physics" rather than "Homework Questions", mainly because I don't know the equations that govern what I'm asking. Please inform me if that was the wrong forum.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get a rough estimate if you know the temperature of the exhaust gas once it left the rocket. With an exhaust velocity of ~4km/s, the gas had ~5 seconds time to expand. Typical velocities of the gas follow from the gas mixture and its temperature, that allows to calculate a typical length scale. There is no fixed plume width, of course, it just gets thinner the more far away you are, with this typical length scale calculated before.

Oooooooh! Neat!

Still, I will need one more nudge. I tried searching for the rate of expansion of a gas during a free expansion, but I didn't find any relevant equations. A little more help? (Maybe it has something to do with the mean speed of the molecules in it?)

Typical velocities = thermal velocities. The velocity a molecule has with the energy kT where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. T will go down as the gas expands, but if you are just interested in a rough estimate it should be fine to take the temperature of the exhaust after leaving the rocket.

Greetings,

I am happy to provide a response to your question about the macroscopic shape of rocket exhaust in a vacuum. The shape of a rocket exhaust plume is affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the nozzle design, and the surrounding atmosphere. In a vacuum, where there is no surrounding atmosphere, the shape of the plume is primarily influenced by the rocket's velocity and thrust.

In the case of an ordinary LH2/LOX fuel mix, the rocket exhaust plume will initially have a conical shape, with the base of the cone being the nozzle exit and the apex being the farthest point of the plume. As the rocket travels further away from the nozzle, the plume will expand due to the decrease in pressure and density of the surrounding environment. This expansion will cause the plume to become wider and less concentrated.

At a distance of 20km from the nozzle, the plume diameter can be estimated using the vacuum limit mentioned in Rocket Propulsion Elements. This range of 0.1-10m diameter is a reasonable approximation for a rocket with an LH2/LOX fuel mix at this distance. However, it is important to note that this is a general guideline and may vary depending on the specific rocket design and operating conditions.

I understand that you were unable to find a specific answer to your question in Rocket Propulsion Elements. It is possible that the information you are looking for is not explicitly stated in the book. However, the vacuum limit mentioned in the book can serve as a useful estimate for your calculations.

In summary, the macroscopic shape of a rocket exhaust plume in a vacuum will initially be conical, but will gradually expand and become less concentrated as the rocket travels further away from the nozzle. The specific diameter of the plume at a distance of 20km will depend on various factors, but a range of 0.1-10m is a reasonable approximation for a rocket with an LH2/LOX fuel mix.

I hope this response has been helpful and informative. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the information provided, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research.

Best regards,

Related to Macroscopic shape of rocket exhaust

1. What is the macroscopic shape of rocket exhaust?

The macroscopic shape of rocket exhaust is typically conical, with a narrow plume that widens as it travels further away from the rocket. This shape is due to the expansion of hot gases as they are expelled from the rocket nozzle.

2. Why does rocket exhaust have a conical shape?

The conical shape of rocket exhaust is a result of the rocket nozzle design. The nozzle is shaped to accelerate and focus the hot gases in one direction, creating a narrow plume that expands as it exits the nozzle.

3. Does the shape of rocket exhaust change during flight?

Yes, the shape of rocket exhaust can change during flight due to various factors such as altitude, atmospheric conditions, and thrust level. As the rocket travels higher, the exhaust plume may widen due to lower air pressure and less resistance. Changes in thrust level can also affect the shape of the exhaust.

4. How does the shape of rocket exhaust affect the rocket's performance?

The shape of rocket exhaust can greatly impact the rocket's performance. A well-designed nozzle and exhaust shape can increase thrust and efficiency, while a poorly designed one can lead to a decrease in performance and potential instability.

5. Can the shape of rocket exhaust be controlled?

Yes, the shape of rocket exhaust can be controlled through the design of the rocket nozzle and the use of thrust vectoring. Thrust vectoring allows for the redirection of exhaust gases, which can change the shape and direction of the exhaust plume.