Macroscopic observation of interference?

In summary: The math says that the off-diagonal terms in the density matrix, the ones that contribute to predicted interference effects when you do the calculations, will very rapidly decay to zero. The only thing that you could call a "physical manifestation" of this is that we don't observe the interference effects when the math predicts that we won't.
Feeble Wonk
I suppose a related question is in regard to the fundamental nature of quantum superposition. Does any system in superposition "necessarily" demonstrate interference on a macroscopic scale?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feeble Wonk said:
I suppose a related question is in regard to the fundamental nature of quantum superposition. Does any system in superposition "necessarily" demonstrate interference on a macroscopic scale?

No. Consider that every particle in a macroscopic system is always in a superposition of something, yet demonstrations of macroscopic interference are extraordinarily difficult and rare. Decoherence provides a pretty good explanation for why this should be so; for a layman-friendly treatment I'd recommend "Where does the weirdness go?" by David Lindley.

Likes bhobba
Nugatory said:
No. Consider that every particle in a macroscopic system is always in a superposition of something, yet demonstrations of macroscopic interference are extraordinarily difficult and rare. Decoherence provides a pretty good explanation for why this should be so; for a layman-friendly treatment I'd recommend "Where does the weirdness go?" by David Lindley.

Thanks... I've got Lindley's book ordered. I'll give It a try.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:

For whatever it's worth. Your answer is what I had previously understood. I just wanted to make certain I wasn't mistaken about that.

The question seems to me to be fundamentally important with regard to the "pure" vs "mixed" status of a quantum state, which seems to be in dispute in a variety of on-going threads at present. The differentiation between the two seems to be frustratingly arbitrary, depending on how you look at it. Hopefully Lindley's book will provide some clarity on the subject.

Feeble Wonk said:
The differentiation between the two seems to be frustratingly arbitrary, depending on how you look at it. Hopefully Lindley's book will provide some clarity on the subject.

Sadly, it won't. It's good, but it's not mathematical enough.

Nugatory said:
Sadly, it won't. It's good, but it's not mathematical enough.

Ugh. Let me ask you this then... Does this whole dispute ultimately come down to the ontological definition of the wave function?

Feeble Wonk said:
Ugh. Let me ask you this then... Does this whole dispute ultimately come down to the ontological definition of the wave function?

Unfortunately no. The math is the only real explanation.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Unfortunately no. The math is the only real explanation.

:) I don't want this to devolve into a philosophical discussion, but I think you know what I mean.

I'm not debating the accuracy of the mathematical formulation. My question is in regard to the physical manifestation of WHAT the math refers to... assuming, of course, that there actually IS a physical manifestation.

Feeble Wonk said:
I'm not debating the accuracy of the mathematical formulation. My question is in regard to the physical manifestation of WHAT the math refers to... assuming, of course, that there actually IS a physical manifestation.

The ontological status of the wavefunction is philosophy pure and simple. The math is silent on it - it can be just about anything depending on interpretation.

Thanks
Bill

I guess that's my take away understanding from all this debate about the nature of pure and mixed (whether proper or improper) quantum states. The math is what it is. Discussion about what the math represents is frequently a semantic issue, and I don't see where it materially supports or refutes any of the typical QT interpretations.

While the philosophical implications of these open questions obviously bother me more than they do you, I reluctantly accept that we simply don't know the answers yet... and maybe never will.

Feeble Wonk said:

The math says that the off-diagonal terms in the density matrix, the ones that contribute to predicted interference effects when you do the calculations, will very rapidly decay to zero. The only thing that you could call a "physical manifestation" of this is that we don't observe the interference effects when the math predicts that we won't.

That's about as far as you can go without getting lost in the swamp.

Related to Macroscopic observation of interference?

1. What is macroscopic observation of interference?

Macroscopic observation of interference is a phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other in such a way that their amplitudes either reinforce or cancel each other out. This can be observed on a larger scale, such as with sound waves or light waves.

2. How does macroscopic observation of interference occur?

Macroscopic observation of interference occurs when two waves with similar frequencies and amplitudes overlap each other. As the waves interact, the resulting interference pattern is a combination of the two waves.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine to create a larger amplitude. This happens when the waves are in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs align. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves combine to create a smaller amplitude. This happens when the waves are out of phase, meaning their peaks and troughs do not align.

4. How is macroscopic observation of interference used in science?

Macroscopic observation of interference is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. In physics, it is used to study the properties of waves and their interactions. In engineering, it is used in the design of structures and materials. In biology, it is used to study the behavior of sound and light waves in living organisms.

5. Can macroscopic observation of interference be observed in everyday life?

Yes, macroscopic observation of interference can be observed in everyday life. For example, the colorful patterns on soap bubbles are a result of light waves interfering with each other. The rainbow colors seen on the surface of a CD or DVD are also a result of interference. Additionally, sound waves can also interfere with each other, creating a phenomenon known as beats, which can be heard in music and nature.