MacroEntanglement and Consciousness

Thanks for your insights!In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that attempts to use quantum mechanics to explain consciousness. The speaker, a lay person with an interest in physics, is asking for any weaknesses in the paper and shares their thoughts on it. The paper's argument is deemed as pseudo-science and a book recommendation is given to further explore the topic.
steve001
This concerns the the use of QM to explain consciousness. I'm looking for any weaknesses in this paper.
With an interest in physics, but being a lay person I understand little of the more complex ideas. Therefore, I'm somewhat at a loss to notice incorrect usage of such ideas most of the time. If you have the time would you look it over and comment. Thank you
The title of the paper is:

Theoretical and Experimental Evidence of Macroscopic Entanglement
Between Human Brain Activity and Photon Emissions: Implications for Quantum Consciousness and Future Applications
Michael A. Persinger* & Christina F. Lavallee
http://www.jcer.com/index.php/jcj/article/view/99/101

Physics news on Phys.org
Any weaknesses? There ar no any! I am excited!
I haven't seen such imposture intellectuelle for quite a long time.
They are even better than Lacan!

Last edited:
steve001 said:
This concerns the the use of QM to explain consciousness. I'm looking for any weaknesses in this paper.
With an interest in physics, but being a lay person I understand little of the more complex ideas. Therefore, I'm somewhat at a loss to notice incorrect usage of such ideas most of the time. If you have the time would you look it over and comment. Thank you
The title of the paper is:

Theoretical and Experimental Evidence of Macroscopic Entanglement
Between Human Brain Activity and Photon Emissions: Implications for Quantum Consciousness and Future Applications
Michael A. Persinger* & Christina F. Lavallee
http://www.jcer.com/index.php/jcj/article/view/99/101

Welcome to PhysicsForums, steve001!

There is a technical term we often use for papers like this. However, most spam filters do not allow it through. :biggrin:

You have to understand that throwing around a lot of equations and references to Physics papers and scientists does not change anything. The paper's purpose is to intimate that entanglement somehow relates to consciousness. I know a bit about entanglement, as do many others. But if you could give me a precise definition of consciousness, you would probably get a Nobel. That should help you to understand that this paper is not really science in the normal sense of the word.

Last edited:
Any weaknesses? I'll be nice and sum them all up into one. This paper tries to prove a point by linking terms that truly have nothing to do with each other like Shroedingers entanglement, and uses famous scientists to try to back it's point because you can't argue with what those scientists said. However it is very easy to argue the flimsy, nonexistent, or all together wrong connections between them all that this paper is making. At best this paper is psuedo science, but truly it's not even that, because that would imply science in some form. All this is is a collection of references that try to prove a point that has no grounds of it's own, or at least no grounds presented in that paper.

I really recommend a book:
Alan Sokal, Jean Brickmont, "Impostures Intellectuelles",
English version: "Fashionable Nonsense - Postmodern Intellectuals' Abuse of Science"

On that note, this thread is closed.

Related to MacroEntanglement and Consciousness

1. What is macroentanglement?

Macroentanglement refers to the phenomenon where large-scale objects, such as living organisms or human brains, can become entangled at the quantum level. This means that the particles making up these objects are intrinsically connected and can influence each other's behavior, even at a distance.

2. How does macroentanglement relate to consciousness?

Some scientists believe that macroentanglement may play a role in explaining the mystery of consciousness. It is thought that the entangled particles in the brain may work together to create a unified consciousness, allowing us to experience the world around us.

3. Is there evidence for macroentanglement in living organisms?

While there is still much research to be done, there have been some studies that suggest the presence of macroentanglement in living organisms. For example, one study found that photosynthetic bacteria showed signs of entanglement in their photosynthetic reaction centers.

4. Can macroentanglement be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly observe or measure macroentanglement in living organisms. However, scientists have been able to indirectly measure entanglement in other systems, such as quantum computers.

5. What are the implications of macroentanglement for our understanding of the universe?

If macroentanglement is proven to exist in living organisms, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it. It could suggest that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of the universe and that all living beings are connected in ways that we are just beginning to understand.