Machine Learning or Deep Learning for a Lab Experiment

In summary: It sounds like you are looking for a way to have a machine learning system that can optimize a transport sequence for a starting point.
jamie.j1989
Hi, I want to try out a bit of machine learning or deep learning with an optimisation problem in the lab. However, I'm confused at what the best option would even be or whether my optimisation problem is even applicable to either.

Firstly, the lab set up hasn't been built yet, I am computing the outcome. The model consists of an analytical solution to the magnetic field produced by current loops separated by some distance along the same axis. These current loops produce a quadrupole field where atoms for the proceeding experiment can be trapped at the zero-field region. However, first, the atoms must be transported down the common axis of the loops by ramping varying currents through these loops. Which amounts to moving the magnetic field-zero along the same path. There are various constraints along the way, such as the maximum currents in the loops the minimum field gradient at the zero-field and the time taken.

Does this sound like a problem that can be optimized with either machine learning or deep learning? I'd like to get into it if so as there are many experimental sequences that could be neatly optimised.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what you are attempting to solve. Are you looking for the positions of the current loops? Or are those fixed and you are looking to control the current through those loops?

To the extent that I understand what you are doing, it sounds like you can model any specific current setup - and you want to discover the best sequence to follow to place the trapped particle at their destination.

Before the lab is finished, it would make sense to model this process; attempt varying strategies, modelling each; and them close in on the most optimal one.
That would not necessarily be considered "machine learning", but that term is so broad, it could be.

Once the lab is working, you can take actual results and build that into you model. Here, "machine learning" could be either the refinement of the model or the automated trial-and-error determination of an optimal transport sequence - or both.

Yes, current loops are static, varying the currents in the loops control the location of the magnetic field zero.

I can see how I should vary the currents to accomplish what I need, It would just be a nice project to see how I could set up some sort of machine learning process that could discover a more efficient route. And I'd like to implement it for future use with more complex parameters, such as trying to maximize the total atom number at the end of the sequence, minimize the heating of the atoms during the transport etc which would require actual feedback from the experiment. However, for now, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to feed in computational results to play around with and get a feel for what is needed.

Specifically what I now have in mind is having a predetermined path for the magnetic field zero as a function of time, which I will decide. This is then the 'goal' that whatever machine learning method I might be able to use should aim towards by optimally selecting the correct currents in the loops at some time value. I'm just unsure what method is best suited for this type of optimization?

@jamie.j1989:
There is probably a way to use machine learning for this, but I would try a more direct approach.
Let's say you have 6 currents you are controlling. You should be able to adjust them to get the zero at a particular spot - somewhere along the path you will want it to follow later.

So let's say you find that this setting: 1.1, 2.2, 3.3, 4.4, 5.5, 6.6 gets you to your starting point.
I would next make fine adjustments to each of these current settings and watch how the zero point moves. In each case, a small delta (say 0.01) will cause a change in the position. So you will have (I for current) a dX/dI, dY/dI, and a dX/dI for each of the six loops.

Now, if you have a way of automatically measuring those changes in position, you could program the device to automatically collect this data. It could then use this to find the minimum current solutions for the entire path. That type of self-calibration is considered machine learning. If you cannot collect the zero position automatically, then you cannot take yourself out of that calibration loop.

Related to Machine Learning or Deep Learning for a Lab Experiment

What is Machine Learning and Deep Learning?

Machine Learning and Deep Learning are subsets of Artificial Intelligence that involve training computer systems to learn and improve from data, without being explicitly programmed. Machine Learning uses algorithms to identify patterns and make predictions, while Deep Learning uses Artificial Neural Networks to process data and make decisions.

How can Machine Learning or Deep Learning be applied to lab experiments?

Machine Learning and Deep Learning can be applied to lab experiments by using algorithms and Artificial Neural Networks to analyze data and make predictions or decisions based on that data. This can help researchers to identify patterns and trends in their experiments, and can also aid in automating certain processes.

What are the benefits of using Machine Learning or Deep Learning in a lab experiment?

The benefits of using Machine Learning or Deep Learning in a lab experiment include increased efficiency, improved accuracy, and the ability to process and analyze large amounts of data in a shorter amount of time. It can also help researchers to identify and understand complex patterns and relationships within their data.

Are there any limitations to using Machine Learning or Deep Learning in a lab experiment?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Machine Learning or Deep Learning in a lab experiment. These can include the need for high-quality and large datasets, the potential for biased results, and the need for expertise in programming and data analysis. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential challenges before incorporating these techniques into a lab experiment.

What are some examples of successful applications of Machine Learning or Deep Learning in lab experiments?

There have been many successful applications of Machine Learning and Deep Learning in lab experiments. For example, these techniques have been used to analyze gene expression data, predict protein structures, and identify disease biomarkers. They have also been used in drug discovery, medical imaging, and environmental monitoring. These are just a few examples of the wide range of possibilities for using Machine Learning and Deep Learning in lab experiments.