M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing

In summary, the individual has recently graduated with a B.Sc in electrical engineering and is looking to pursue graduate studies. They have taken courses in various areas of electrical engineering but have a particular interest in signal processing. However, they have found the material to be abstract and are seeking advice on how to gain more practical experience in this field. Suggestions include seeking internships or research opportunities, joining student organizations, and pursuing graduate studies. Overall, the advice is to continue exploring and seeking out opportunities to gain hands-on experience in signal processing.
M.Crown
Hi All,

Since I myself hate reading long posts I will cut to the chase.

I graduate in June with a B.Sc in electrical engineering and am hoping to go for graduate studies. During the last four years I took courses in almost all areas of electrical engineering.

The only field I liked AND excelled in (these two items of criteria seemed to be mutually exclusive for the majority of my college years) was the field of signal processing, but there is a small catch here. I found the material to be incredibly abstract (Tons of Matlab simulations) and am hoping I could get involved in something a little more practical when it comes to that field.

I would appreciate it if you would share your experiences with me and/or offer any advice you might have to point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on graduating with a B.Sc in electrical engineering! That is a great accomplishment. It's also great to hear that you have taken courses in almost all areas of electrical engineering, as it shows your willingness to explore different fields.

It's understandable that you found the field of signal processing to be abstract, as it does involve a lot of theoretical concepts and simulations. However, it's important to remember that these simulations are a crucial part of understanding the practical applications of signal processing. In fact, many real-world problems can only be solved through simulations.

That being said, if you are looking for more hands-on experience in signal processing, I would suggest seeking out internships or research opportunities in this field. This will give you the opportunity to apply your knowledge in a practical setting and work on real-world problems. You can also consider joining a student organization or club related to signal processing, as they often have projects or competitions that allow for hands-on experience.

Another option is to pursue a graduate program in signal processing, where you will have the opportunity to work on research projects and gain practical experience in the field. You can also reach out to professors or professionals in the field to see if they have any projects or collaborations that you can be a part of.

Overall, my advice would be to continue exploring your interests and seeking out opportunities to gain practical experience in signal processing. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Related to M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing

1. What is the duration of an M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing program?

An M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing program typically takes 2 years to complete.

2. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in an M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing program?

Most universities require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field, as well as a strong background in mathematics, physics, and programming.

3. What courses are typically included in an M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing program?

Some common courses in this program include Digital Signal Processing, Statistical Signal Processing, Communication Systems, Image Processing, and Machine Learning for Signal Processing.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing an M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing?

Graduates of this program can pursue careers in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, defense, and healthcare. They can work as signal processing engineers, communication systems engineers, data analysts, and research scientists.

5. Is it possible to complete an M.Sc in Electrical Engineering: Signal Processing online?

Yes, many universities offer online or distance learning options for this program. However, it is important to check the accreditation and reputation of the university before enrolling in an online program.