M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics vs Robotics/Controls

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a Master's degree in a mathematically challenging field, specifically in acoustics. They are considering joining either the Mechanics/Materials or Robotics/Controls programs at Oregon State University, but also mention their "dream" company, Boeing. They are limiting themselves to schools in Oregon and Washington due to financial constraints and not wanting to take the GRE. The responder suggests not limiting themselves too much and considering private schools that may wave the in-state tuition requirement.
danny_91
Hello fellow PF members,

I'm currently in my senior year in Mechanical Engineering at Oregon State University. I'm considering going on to get my Master's Degree to gain more knowledge (since I'm fascinating by them). I really like Math and have a Math Minor already. I am looking to go into a field which is mathematical challenging. I really want to do computational simulation and modeling and solve challenging problems.

Out of all the courses that I have taken, I really like Dynamics and the differential equations in Vibrations so I want to focus my study in a field like Acoustics. Unfortunately, there is not really a specialization in acoustics at my school (or any school around the Oregon area). So I have two options, either join the Mechanics/Materials or Robotics/Controls at OSU. Which one would you think is better suited to my intended field?

Currently, my "dream" place to work is Boeing, do you think there is opportunity for my field of interest? I would appreaciate any input.P/S: I'm limiting myself to Oregon and possibly Washington because I don't want to pay out-state tuition (which is expensive even if I have fellowships/assistantship) and they don't require GRE. I'm posting a link about grad courses at OSU. Please let me know what you think.

http://mime.oregonstate.edu/academics/grad/me/core-coursework
http://robotics.oregonstate.edu/masters-degrees-robotics

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I think you are limiting yourself too much with your two constraints regarding the GRE and in-state tuition.

The GRE is not that big a problem if you are a good student. You might plan to simply take it twice, and do your best on each time. I took it twice, and the results were good and much better, respectively. I was to graduate school based on my first scores, but taking it again, with no pressure at all, my scores shot up significantly.

The matter of in-state tuition may sound bad, but it is possible many schools can simply wave it, so why not look at them? Particularly private schools (Cornell, Northwestern, to name a couple of very good private schools).

Related to M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics vs Robotics/Controls

1. What is the difference between M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics vs Robotics/Controls?

The main difference between the two specializations lies in their focus. M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics primarily focuses on the design and analysis of mechanical systems, while M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Robotics/Controls focuses on the development and control of robotic systems. Mechanics deals with the principles of motion, forces, and energy, whereas Robotics/Controls deals with the integration of sensors, actuators, and control algorithms to achieve desired behaviors in robots.

2. Can I switch between the two specializations during my M.S. program?

It is possible to switch between the two specializations during your M.S. program, however, it may depend on the specific program and its requirements. Some programs may allow students to choose elective courses from both specializations, while others may require students to declare a specific specialization upon admission. It is important to check with the program coordinator or advisor for more information.

3. What career opportunities are available for each specialization?

M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics can lead to careers in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing where the design and analysis of mechanical systems are crucial. On the other hand, M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Robotics/Controls can lead to careers in industries such as robotics, automation, and artificial intelligence, where the development and control of robotic systems are in high demand.

4. Are there any prerequisite courses for these specializations?

The prerequisite courses may vary depending on the program, but typically a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and mechanics is required for both specializations. Additional courses in control theory, programming, and robotics may be required for M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Robotics/Controls.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from these specializations?

Both specializations will provide you with a strong background in mechanical engineering principles and techniques. However, M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Mechanics will focus more on analytical and numerical methods for mechanical design and analysis, while M.S. Mechanical Engineering in Robotics/Controls will focus on hands-on experience with robotics platforms, control algorithms, and programming languages. Additionally, both specializations will also enhance your critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills.