M&E Engineer Needs Electrical Basics | Learn Here

In summary, as a recently graduated mechanical engineer working in a construction company, the individual is seeking advice on the basics of electrical knowledge that an ME should know. It is suggested to start with Ohm's Law and gradually expand knowledge through practical experience and guidance from an actual EE. Previous coursework in principles of electrics and electronics may provide a foundation, but real-world experience is crucial in this field.
surendran90
Im a recently graduated mechanical engineer and i just joined a construction company as an M & E engineer. i want to know the basics of electrical knowledge that a mechanical engineer should know. please advise me on this topic. i am willing to learn and expand my knowledge.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start with Ohm's Law, then go on to bigger and better things.

Seriously though, did you learn nothing about electrical circuits in your ME curriculum? Where did you go to school?

Dr.D said:
Start with Ohm's Law, then go on to bigger and better things.

Seriously though, did you learn nothing about electrical circuits in your ME curriculum? Where did you go to school?
yeah i did. principles of electrics and electronics in my first year. I am from malaysia. my job scope involves electrical autocad layout drafting. so i think its better to be prepared.

I took two semesters of EE as an ME and have done a little bit of electrical design. Nothing in college prepares you for it, you just have to learn by doing, under the tutelage of an actual EE.

Related to M&E Engineer Needs Electrical Basics | Learn Here

1. What is an M&E Engineer?

An M&E Engineer is a professional who specializes in the design, installation, and maintenance of mechanical and electrical systems in buildings and other structures. This can include heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lighting, and other electrical systems.

2. Why is it important for an M&E Engineer to have knowledge of electrical basics?

Electrical basics are essential for an M&E Engineer because they are responsible for overseeing and ensuring the proper functioning of electrical systems in buildings. Understanding electrical basics allows them to identify and troubleshoot any issues that may arise and ensure the safety and efficiency of the systems.

3. What are some examples of electrical basics that an M&E Engineer should know?

Some examples of electrical basics that an M&E Engineer should know include understanding circuitry and wiring, electrical codes and regulations, electrical safety procedures, and how to read and interpret electrical blueprints and diagrams.

4. Can someone with no prior electrical knowledge become an M&E Engineer?

While it is not necessary for an M&E Engineer to have a background in electrical engineering, having some basic knowledge and understanding of electrical systems is essential for the role. It is possible to learn these skills through educational programs or on-the-job training.

5. What are some resources for learning electrical basics for M&E Engineers?

There are many resources available for learning electrical basics for M&E Engineers, including online courses, books, and workshops. Many technical schools and community colleges also offer programs specifically designed for individuals looking to enter the field of mechanical and electrical engineering.