Lyman Break drop-out technique

In summary, the lyman break drop-out technique is used to identify high red shift galaxies by observing the absorption of UV light in the Lyman α line due to intervening neutral gas. This technique uses broadband filters, such as B and U, to observe galaxies at different red shifts, with the presence or absence of a galaxy in each filter indicating its red shift. The use of broadband filters allows for shorter exposure times compared to narrowband filters.
resurgance2001
Hi

I have a question which is about the lyman break drop-out technique for identifying high red shift galaxies. I am basically trying to understand how the technique works.

My current understanding is that the drop-out technique makes use of the fact that very high red shift galaxies illuminate intervening neutral clouds of gas which produce absorption lines in the UV spectrum. There is strong absorption when the observed red shifted wave length is shorter the Lyman α line, and there is even stronger absorption when the wave length is shorter than the red shifted observed Lyman limit of 91.2 nm. Photons with shorter wavelengths than this are completely absorbed by the intervening hydrogen.

The galaxy is observed used two broad band filters, such as B and U for a z = 4 galaxy. The galaxy is visible in the B filter but not in the U filter – hence the term 'drop-out' technique. The Lyman α line is used to gain greater precision in the measurements.

Is this correct? Or have I go this all upside down. To be honest I have not yet fully understood what the technique is being used for. Is it being used to find the red shift of these very distant galaxies. Why do they use broadband filters? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Space news on Phys.org
resurgance2001 said:
Why do they use broadband filters?

I'm mostly guessing here, but I'd say it's because broadband filters allow more light through which allows for shorter exposure times than narrowband filters.

Hmmm - that's interesting. I need to do more research about this, but most of the papers I have come across just assume one already knows all about the technique and not how it actually works. Thanks

Related to Lyman Break drop-out technique

What is the Lyman Break drop-out technique?

The Lyman Break drop-out technique is a method used in astronomy to identify distant galaxies based on their spectral features. It involves studying the light emitted by these galaxies and looking for a drop in intensity at a specific wavelength known as the Lyman limit, which indicates the presence of neutral hydrogen gas.

How does the Lyman Break drop-out technique work?

The Lyman Break drop-out technique works by using filters to block out all light except for a specific range of wavelengths. These filters are designed to block out all light except for the Lyman limit, which is a key feature of distant galaxies due to their high redshift. By studying the light that passes through these filters, astronomers can identify and study these distant galaxies.

What is the significance of the Lyman Break drop-out technique in astronomy?

The Lyman Break drop-out technique is significant in astronomy because it allows us to study the properties of galaxies in the early universe. The Lyman limit is shifted towards longer wavelengths by the expansion of the universe, making it an effective tool for identifying galaxies at high redshifts. By studying these distant galaxies, we can gain a better understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies.

What are the limitations of the Lyman Break drop-out technique?

One of the limitations of the Lyman Break drop-out technique is that it relies on the assumption that distant galaxies have a specific spectral shape. However, some galaxies may have different spectral features that could result in false positives or negatives. Additionally, this technique is only effective for identifying galaxies at high redshifts and may not be useful for studying galaxies in the local universe.

How is the Lyman Break drop-out technique used in current research?

The Lyman Break drop-out technique is currently used in various research projects, including studying the evolution of galaxies and the reionization of the universe. It is also used to identify and study galaxies in the early universe, such as star-forming galaxies, which can provide insights into the conditions of the early universe and the processes involved in galaxy formation.