Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel / Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses a computer science program that calculates the landing of a craft on a given planet. The user enters in various known variables and the program prompts for the amount of fuel to burn and the burn time. The relevant equations involve calculating accelerations and point masses, with the acceleration of the craft being a function of the gravitational force of attraction between the planet and craft divided by the mass of the craft.
dtturner12

Homework Statement

I am currently working on a computer science program which calculates the landing of a craft on a given planet. The user will enter in various known variables. I need some direction on what formulas to use for my program. I am strong in computer science however I haven't seen the formulas for this type of physics in a while and need some direction. Here is what variables the user will be able to "plug" into the equation to calculate the landing..

• The user initializes the program by entering the mass of the planet, mass of the craft, initial mass of fuel,fuel burn efficiency (amount of thrust/unit mass of fuel), initial height of craft above planet, and the initial velocity of the craft. This information will be entered from the keyboard.
• The height and velocity of the craft will only be in one direction orthogonal to a point on the planet.
• There are no other component forces acting upon the craft.
• Assume the planet and the craft are point masses.
• There are no other masses present.
• The program will prompt the user for amount of fuel to burn along with the burn time in seconds
• Appropriate calculations will be performed and the new craft vertical height above the planet and velocity will be displayed.
• A safe landing is when the craft contacts the surface of the planet within +/- 5m/s.
• Use the masses of the objects to calculate the force of attractio

Homework Equations

Relevant equations would be calculating the accelerations, and point masses

The Attempt at a Solution

i have a program written prompting all of the data from the keyboard however I am not sure what to do with the data such as which formulas to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the relevant equations would be calculating the accelerations, and point masses. The acceleration of the craft would be a function of the gravitational force of attraction between the planet and craft divided by the mass of the craft. The equation for the gravitational force of attraction is F= (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the two masses, and r is the distance between them.

Related to Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel / Masses

1. What is a Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses?

A Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of fuel and masses required for a spacecraft to successfully land on the moon.

2. How is a Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses derived?

A Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses is derived using various factors such as the gravitational pull of the moon, the weight of the spacecraft, and the desired landing velocity.

3. What are the main variables in a Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses?

The main variables in a Lunar Lander Formula for Fuel/Masses include the mass of the spacecraft, the mass of the fuel, the gravitational pull of the moon, and the desired landing velocity.

4. How accurate are Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel/Masses?

Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel/Masses are highly accurate and are constantly being refined and improved by scientists and engineers. However, there are many variables and unpredictable factors that can affect the accuracy of the formula.

5. Can Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel/Masses be used for other planets?

Yes, Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel/Masses can be adapted and used for other planets with different gravitational pulls and atmospheric conditions. However, the formula may need to be adjusted to account for these variations.