Lunar gravity assist en route to Mars

In summary: You could use the Moon as a 'base of operations' and use its gravity to slingshot the spacecraft off into space. You could also use a planet as a 'base of operations' and use its gravity to slingshot the spacecraft off into space. You could also use a combination of both. There are a few factors that would have to be taken into account when doing a gravitational assist; the target planet's mass, the gravitational pull of the moon, and the spacecraft's trajectory. Depending on the circumstances, one or more of those factors might be limiting.
Witan
I was wondering how feasible it would be for a spacecraft to use a lunar gravity assist on its route to Mars. Specifically, I was wondering;

1.) Would such a maneuver boost the delta-v en route to Mars?

2.) Would any such boost be possible in terms of its geometry? (i.e., would a lunar boost keep the spacecraft in the ecliptic?)

If there isn't any tangible benefit, is the effect of a lunar flyby on the trajectory at least neutral? I was thinking, even if the spacecraft doesn't get a large boost, it could at least use the close lunar flyby as a scientific bonus to help map the Moon's lumpy gravitational field before heading off to Mars.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Witan said:
I was wondering how feasible it would be for a spacecraft to use a lunar gravity assist on its route to Mars. Specifically, I was wondering;

2.) Would any such boost be possible in terms of its geometry? (i.e., would a lunar boost keep the spacecraft in the ecliptic?)

If there isn't any tangible benefit, is the effect of a lunar flyby on the trajectory at least neutral? I was thinking, even if the spacecraft doesn't get a large boost, it could at least use the close lunar flyby as a scientific bonus to help map the Moon's lumpy gravitational field before heading off to Mars.

Possible, but tricky. However the so-called "Interplanetary Super-Highway" might allow such maneuverings for a low delta-vee cost. Very useful like that.

qraal said:
Possible, but tricky. However the so-called "Interplanetary Super-Highway" might allow such maneuverings for a low delta-vee cost. Very useful like that.

What would make such a trajectory tricky?

Witan said:

If you mean using gravity assist starting from earth, try a quick calculation:

I make it that the moon's orbital speed relative to the Earth is roughly 1km/s, which means that relative to the earth, the maximum theoretically possible delta-v would be twice that, 2km/s, which isn't going to help a lot, considering that Earth's escape velocity is 11.2km/s.

If instead you mean using a gravity assist after the spacecraft has already been away from the Earth and come back, then using the Earth would obviously be far more efficient.

Jonathan Scott said:
If you mean using gravity assist starting from earth, try a quick calculation:

I make it that the moon's orbital speed relative to the Earth is roughly 1km/s, which means that relative to the earth, the maximum theoretically possible delta-v would be twice that, 2km/s, which isn't going to help a lot, considering that Earth's escape velocity is 11.2km/s.
But the escape velocity at the distance of the Moon is only 1.414 km/s, and Even a savings of 2 km/sec is fairly significant.

Unfortunately, you could never get that 2 km/sec boost is real life, as the trajectory around the Moon needed would intersect the surface of the Moon.

I think that this question came up before and I calculated about how much boost you could get from the Moon. It came out to be pretty small.

Another drawback is that in order to get the correct trajectory to reach a given planet, you have to wait until the Moon is in the right relative position in its orbit. Since minimum energy trajectories only occur when the Earth and target planet have the right relative positions in their orbits, it would be a rare occasion for both to happen at the same time.

Janus said:
But the escape velocity at the distance of the Moon is only 1.414 km/s, and Even a savings of 2 km/sec is fairly significant.

Yes, I'm aware that from the Moon's orbit the escape velocity is much smaller, but I felt that rough comparison with the escape velocity needed to get away from Earth in the first place was a better indication of the relatively small gain.

Janus said:
Unfortunately, you could never get that 2 km/sec boost is real life, as the trajectory around the Moon needed would intersect the surface of the Moon.

Thanks. If you happen to have calculated the actual limit (for a path grazing the moon's surface) I'd be interested to know; I can't be bothered to calculate it for myself!

Thanks for the replies. Is basically all the info you need to calculate orbits in the two sticky threads? I skimmed through them a little, but I know it's going to take me time to learn it well enough to do it myself.

There are a number of ways of doing gravitational assist. I don't think that doing a "lunar gravitational slingshot" will help you very much, but there are some very interesting things that are happening with the concept of the interplanetary superhighway.

The basic idea comes from chaos theory. There are situations with orbits where small changes in direction and speed and results in very large differences in direction. So the idea is that you find a spot near the moon and then a small change in your energy and direction will let you make very large directional changes.

The interplanetary superhighway will not get you to your destination faster, since you still need the energy to get to mars. However by making small changes, it let's you change your direction with extremely small amounts of fuel.

If you want to do a gravitational slingshot, the maths are really easy. In reality, the spacecraft is going in a hyperbolic orbit around the planet, but you can approximate things by approximating things as spacecraft bouncing off the surface of the planet. (i.e. draw the asymptotes of the hyperbolic orbit. Now draw a line in which the spacecraft just bounces off the surface of the planet as if the spacecraft and the planet were made of rubber), at long distances the two orbits are very close.

The calculations for doing interplanetary superhighway routes is much more complex, which is why people didn't realize it could be done until the 1990's.

Related to Lunar gravity assist en route to Mars

What is a lunar gravity assist en route to Mars?

A lunar gravity assist is a technique used by spacecraft to increase their speed and change their trajectory by utilizing the gravitational pull of the moon. This maneuver is commonly used to help spacecraft reach their destination more efficiently and with less fuel.

How does a lunar gravity assist work?

During a lunar gravity assist, a spacecraft approaches the moon and uses its gravity to slingshot around the moon, gaining speed and changing its trajectory in the process. This allows the spacecraft to conserve fuel and reach its destination faster.

Why is a lunar gravity assist useful for a trip to Mars?

A lunar gravity assist is useful for a trip to Mars because it allows spacecraft to reach higher speeds and conserve fuel, reducing the overall time and cost of the mission. This is especially important for long-distance missions like those to Mars.

What are the potential risks of a lunar gravity assist?

There are some potential risks associated with a lunar gravity assist, such as miscalculating the trajectory and missing the intended target, or encountering other objects in space during the maneuver. However, these risks can be minimized through careful planning and monitoring of the spacecraft.

Has a lunar gravity assist been used for a mission to Mars before?

Yes, a lunar gravity assist has been used for several missions to Mars, including the Mars Global Surveyor, Mars Odyssey, and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. It is a commonly used technique for interplanetary travel and has been successfully executed by many spacecraft over the years.