Lubricate a Chain with Grease & Solvent?

• Thread starter Osvaldo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain
In summary, it is not recommended to mix a petroleum solvent with grease in order to lubricate a chain so the mixture gets well inside the rollers and wait for the solvent to evaporate, leaving a film of grease within the chain components.
Osvaldo
TL;DR Summary
Grease Solvent Mixture
Does it make sense to mix a petroleum solvent with grease in order to lubricate a chain so the mixture gets well inside the rollers and wait for the solvent to evaporate, leaving a film of grease within the chain components? Will this happen? Lube oils work fine but leave the chain after few hours of operation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chains need a special lubricant. What you propose will work but, the lubricant must be very sticky and relatively viscous to stay in place during use. I have used heavy grease in acetone for this very purpose. Put the lub/solvent in a container, lay the chain flat in a spiral on the bottom. Allow it to soak there until all the acetone evaporates. A heat gun speeds up the process. Careful ! It might ignite.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
I don't know if this still acceptable/advisable or not, but in my childhood we used to 'boil' the chain instead: some good thick lubricant in a double boiler (so temperature won't go above the boiling point of water) and cook it for some time, with moving the chain sometimes. Then just hang it above the container so the excess grease could drip back while cooling down.

Ps.: of course, there was some cleaning first... :doh:

The reason for using the mixture instead of "boiling" the chain, is that I prefer to put few drops in every link in order to keep the outside of the chain free of any greasy mixture that could attract dirt.

Rive said:
I don't know if this still acceptable/advisable or not, but in my childhood we used to 'boil' the chain instead: some good thick lubricant in a double boiler (so temperature won't go above the boiling point of water) and cook it for some time, with moving the chain sometimes. Then just hang it above the container so the excess grease could drip back while cooling down.

Ps.: of course, there was some cleaning first... :doh:

motul chain lube paste - $11 for a tube..not worth experimenting trial and error process to get somethign that won't work as good as the proven race lube

Likes Nugatory and berkeman
What you suggest is available in several bicycle chain lubes where a greasy, waxy or other (Teflon, “ceramic”) substance is dissolved in a volatile solvent. Enthusiasts vary the lube by season since some are more than water-resistant than others. Google for bike chain lubes and you can read about all the options.

Likes berkeman
Many (Most?) modern motorcycle chains are permanently lubricated (internals) and sealed with O-rings. Lubrication is required only for the sprocket/roller interface. The wrong solvent will destroy that kind of chain.

Osvaldo said:
Summary: Grease Solvent Mixture

Lube oils work fine but leave the chain after few hours of operation.
What is the application? Bicycle or motorcycle? What kind of environment? Wet, dry, dusty, muddy, etc.?

For my sportbikes, I have used Motul and similar brand cleaners and lubricants. I ride in the rain as well as the dry, so I spend a lot of time cleaning and lubricating those chains.

For by motocross bike, after every ride I clean the chain by soaking in kerosene, then dry and re-lube with off-road chain lubricant (Motul or other brand).

For my mountain bike chains, I use an off-road chain lube similar to Chain Wax.

I'm with @Ranger Mike on this -- stick with good quality products that are already optimized... :smile:

Likes marcusl and Ranger Mike

Related to Lubricate a Chain with Grease & Solvent?

1. How often should I lubricate my chain with grease and solvent?

It is recommended to lubricate your chain with grease and solvent every 100-200 miles or every 2-3 weeks, depending on how frequently you ride and the conditions you ride in.

2. Can I use any type of grease and solvent on my chain?

No, it is important to use a specific bicycle chain lubricant that is designed to work with your bike's chain and components. Using the wrong type of grease and solvent can cause damage to your chain and decrease its lifespan.

3. How do I apply the grease and solvent to my chain?

First, make sure your chain is clean and dry. Then, apply a small amount of grease to each individual link, making sure to cover the entire chain. Finally, use a clean cloth to wipe off any excess grease and solvent.

4. Can I use too much grease and solvent on my chain?

Yes, using too much grease and solvent can actually attract more dirt and debris, causing your chain to become even dirtier. It is important to only use a small amount and to wipe off any excess after application.

5. How can I tell if my chain needs to be lubricated?

If your chain looks dry, makes a lot of noise while riding, or feels rough when pedaling, it is a good indication that it needs to be lubricated. It is also recommended to regularly check your chain for wear and replace it if necessary.