LSM303AGRTR Footprint: DRC Issues and Solutions

• Thread starter Yoyo G
  • Start date
In summary, the pad size on this footprint is not what is stated in the datasheet, and this may be causing the DRC stall. The recommended pad size will generally be a little larger than the actual IC pins or balls, to improve solderability.
Yoyo G
Hello everyone!
I hope you're all doing well.
I've been working on a PCB using the LCSC library's LSM303AGRTR. My DRC stalls on the fact that the pad space is insufficient when I try to make Gerber files.
The DRC check generates no issues when I drop the DRC value to 0.5mil. However, a closer examination of the datasheet and footprint reveals that the pad size of this component differs from what is stated in the datasheet. Has anyone had success with this footprint/library part?
Thank you very much in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yoyo G said:
Hello everyone!
I hope you're all doing well.
I've been working on a PCB using the LCSC library's LSM303AGRTR. My DRC stalls on the fact that the pad space is insufficient when I try to make Gerber files.
The DRC check generates no issues when I drop the DRC value to 0.5mil. However, a closer examination of the datasheet and footprint reveals that the pad size of this component differs from what is stated in the datasheet. Has anyone had success with this footprint/library part?
Thank you very much in advance!
The recommended pad size will generally be a little larger than the actual IC pins or balls, to improve solderability. Is that the mismatch you are concerned about?

You should get the design rules from your PCB Fab House -- they may use different design rules for different processes that they have available (more expensive for smaller feature size DRC values)

Yoyo G said:
You are supposed to set (modify) the DRC rules according to the project requirements // PCB manufacturer capabilities. The default rules are usually just 'mostly OK' and cannot correctly handle special requirements/parts.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
DRC value of 0.5 mil is basically nothing. It's 12.7 um. Unless you're working on IC packaging that number is probably not achievable by a lot of places, and even there I would think it's uncommon. Speaking of mils versus microns... check your units. I'm pretty sure it would be obvious once you place the part, but it's worth mentioning and checking since it's easy and I'm not sure what new people would/n't notice.

^ Advice above is pretty good. Work with the fab house to get the numbers you need.

Footprint not matching an application note is not going to trigger DRCs. A lot of footprints don't really match the application notes because of tolerances. If you design to the nominal value, then you're going to be in big trouble when parts come in and they are a little bit bigger or smaller. Some guidelines I've seen... such as IPC... do not match the footprint. You'll notice things like longer and more narrow pads. All of the tools I've worked with also have an extra checkbox or property that allows some component specific DRCs to be automatically waived (ie. pin to pin clearance).

A lot of people do not do the layout with the soldermask layer showing (totally okay), but this layer causes a lot of DRCs. They'll put the soldermask expansion on their pins and place them closely together... you'll have small soldermask slivers and webs, which a lot of fab houses do not like. It would not surprise me if the default rules had a check for it. A quick fix for this is to gang relieve these pins, which is just a big soldermask cutout enclosing the pins that are close to each other. This can come with it's own can of worms related to assembly risks, but you'll want to communicate with the fab house to understand those risk and determine what's right for you.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to LSM303AGRTR Footprint: DRC Issues and Solutions

1. What does "LSM303AGRTR Footprint" refer to?

"LSM303AGRTR Footprint" refers to the physical layout or design of the LSM303AGRTR sensor, which is used in various electronic devices for measuring acceleration and magnetic fields.

2. What are DRC issues and how do they affect the LSM303AGRTR Footprint?

DRC (Design Rule Check) issues refer to errors or violations in the design layout of the LSM303AGRTR Footprint. These issues can affect the functionality and performance of the sensor, and may also cause problems during the manufacturing process.

3. What are the common DRC issues encountered with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint?

Some common DRC issues with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint include overlapping or misaligned components, incorrect pad or trace sizes, and clearance violations.

4. How can DRC issues with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint be resolved?

To resolve DRC issues with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint, the design layout needs to be carefully reviewed and corrected. This can be done manually or by using software tools that can automatically detect and fix DRC violations.

5. Are there any specific solutions for resolving DRC issues with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint?

Yes, there are specific solutions for resolving DRC issues with the LSM303AGRTR Footprint. These include adjusting trace widths and spacing, adding additional layers for better routing, and optimizing the placement of components to ensure proper clearance.