LRC Series Circuit Voltage amplitude question.

In summary, the voltage amplitude across the resistor and the inductor at a maximum value is at a angular frequency of omega.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

Hello All,

I have a question:
In a LRC Series circuit:

At what angular frequency is the voltage amplitude across the resistor at a maximum value?
At what angular frequency is the voltage amplitude across the inductor at a maximum value?

Homework Equations

[tex] \omega = \sqrt{(\frac{1}{LC})-(\frac{R^{2}}{4L^{2}})}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Im just looking for some assurance.

Do I simply just solve the equation for R ( for the first question) and optimize the function?

(And then just Solve the eqn for L for the second question and do the same?)

Seems to simple and my book has this as a Level III problem.

Likes rude man
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I left one part out:

How do I find voltage amplitude? I know I will optimize a function somewhere but I'm not sure which one...

If you work with impedance values (complex form of "resistance") for the components, then you can write the expressions for the various voltages as voltage divider equations. You might also ponder how the impedance of the various components vary with frequency.

BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

Hello All,

I have a question:
In a LRC Series circuit:
Define your "LRC circuit".

I got it, thanks though!

I would explain how but it requires A LOT of steps. The derivative for d(Vl)/d(omega) is really nasty.

for a I got: [tex] \omega =\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} [/tex]

for b I got: [tex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC-\frac{(RC)^{2}}{2}}} [/tex]

Part a was easy, part b required me to take the derivative of V L (voltage amplitude across inductor) with respect to omega.

The function I derived was: [tex] V_{L}= \frac{VL\omega}{\sqrt{R^{2}+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}}} [/tex]

too much latex to show, but in the end ,

[tex]\frac{dV_{L}}{d\omega }=0[/tex] when [tex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC-\frac{(RC)^{2}}{2}}} [/tex] in the end.

...In case anyone was interested..

Related to LRC Series Circuit Voltage amplitude question.

1. What is an LRC series circuit?

An LRC series circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor connected in series. It is also known as an RLC series circuit.

2. How does an LRC series circuit work?

In an LRC series circuit, the resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor and inductor will charge and discharge, causing the current to oscillate.

3. What is the voltage amplitude in an LRC series circuit?

The voltage amplitude in an LRC series circuit is the maximum value of the voltage oscillations. It is determined by the values of the inductor, capacitor, and resistor in the circuit and can be calculated using the formula Vmax = Imax * √(R^2 + (ωL - 1/ωC)^2), where Imax is the maximum current, R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. How does the voltage amplitude change in an LRC series circuit?

The voltage amplitude in an LRC series circuit can change in two ways. First, it can change if the values of the components in the circuit are altered. Second, it can change due to the frequency of the input voltage. At resonance, when the frequency of the input voltage matches the natural frequency of the circuit, the voltage amplitude will be at its maximum value.

5. What is the significance of the voltage amplitude in an LRC series circuit?

The voltage amplitude in an LRC series circuit is significant because it determines the amount of energy that can be transferred through the circuit. A higher voltage amplitude means a greater amount of energy can be transferred, while a lower voltage amplitude means less energy can be transferred. It is also important in determining the efficiency of the circuit and ensuring that the components can handle the voltage without being damaged.