LRC Circuit Problem: Calculate Voltage Across Inductor

In summary, the problem involves an oscillator producing 10 volts (rms) at 200 rad/s connected in series with a 50 Ω resistor, a 400 mH inductor, and a 200 μF capacitor. The calculated impedance is 74.33 Ω and the resulting rms voltage on the inductor is 10.78 V. However, if the input voltage is a peak value, the resulting rms voltage on the inductor would be 7.61 V.
rabcdred

Homework Statement

An oscillator producing 10 volts (rms) at 200 rad/s is connected in series with a 50 Ω resistor, a 400 mH inductor, and a 200 μF capacitor. The rms voltage (in volts) across the inductor is

Homework Equations

Xc=1/wC, Xl=wL, Vrms= Irms(Z), Z=(R^2 +(Xl-Xc)^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am supposed to make an attempt here but I really have absolutely no idea what to do. All I could do was solve for Z and got Z= 74.33Ω. Please Help! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rabcdred said:

Homework Statement

An oscillator producing 10 volts (rms) at 200 rad/s is connected in series with a 50 Ω resistor, a 400 mH inductor, and a 200 μF capacitor. The rms voltage (in volts) across the inductor is

Homework Equations

Xc=1/wC, Xl=wL, Vrms= Irms(Z), Z=(R^2 +(Xl-Xc)^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am supposed to make an attempt here but I really have absolutely no idea what to do. All I could do was solve for Z and got Z= 74.33Ω. Please Help! Thanks.

If you know how to deal with complex numbers then an easy approach is to work with the complex impedance, current, and voltages. You can then treat all the components just as you would resistors using Ohm's law and so forth.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I do not know how to work with complex numbers. Do you have any other suggestions?

You are almost there...you have the equations you need.
I also get Z = 74.3 ohms so now you can calculate the current. It is a series circuit so the current is the same through each component. It should be straightforward to calculate the 3 voltages

Thanks. I took your advice but I still cannot get the correct answer. I calculated 6.7 volts being dissipated across the resistor and concluded that the inductor would have to be less than 3.3volts. This answer choice was wrong however. The answer choices are 6.7V, 2.5V, 3.4V, 10V, and 7.6V. 10V and 2.5V are incorrect.

rabcdred said:
Thanks. I took your advice but I still cannot get the correct answer. I calculated 6.7 volts being dissipated across the resistor and concluded that the inductor would have to be less than 3.3volts. This answer choice was wrong however. The answer choices are 6.7V, 2.5V, 3.4V, 10V, and 7.6V. 10V and 2.5V are incorrect.

Did you multiply your apparent current by each of the component impedances (R, XL, XC)?

Yes I did. However, I did not get any of the possible answer choices when I did V=Irms * Xl

rabcdred said:
Yes I did. However, I did not get any of the possible answer choices when I did V=Irms * Xl

What values did you get for each of the voltages?

I got V(resis)= 6.73V, V(ind)= 10.78V, V(capac)=3.36V. Maybe my current is wrong. I got Irms= 0.134589502.

rabcdred said:
I got V(resis)= 6.73V, V(ind)= 10.78V, V(capac)=3.36V. Maybe my current is wrong. I got Irms= 0.134589502.

Those values all look fine for a series RLC with the parameters that you've specified.

If 10.78 V is not a choice for the inductor voltage and the selection of closest value to that is deemed incorrect, then it is possible that the question has been altered at some point (to make it a "new" question) without updating the answer key.

Yep. It seems that way. Thanks so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

As a point of interest, if the input voltage of 10 V was a peak value rather than an rms one, then the resulting rms value on the inductor would be 7.61 V.

Related to LRC Circuit Problem: Calculate Voltage Across Inductor

1. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. These components work together to create a resonant circuit that can store and release electrical energy.

2. How do you calculate the voltage across an inductor in an LRC circuit?

To calculate the voltage across an inductor in an LRC circuit, you can use the formula VL = L(di/dt), where VL is the voltage across the inductor, L is the inductance of the inductor in henries, and di/dt is the rate of change of current through the inductor.

3. What factors affect the voltage across an inductor in an LRC circuit?

The voltage across an inductor in an LRC circuit is affected by the inductance of the inductor, the frequency of the current, and the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

4. How does the voltage across an inductor change over time in an LRC circuit?

In an LRC circuit, the voltage across an inductor will initially increase as the current through the circuit increases. However, once the circuit reaches resonance, the voltage across the inductor will begin to decrease and eventually reach a steady state value.

5. Why is calculating the voltage across an inductor important in LRC circuits?

Calculating the voltage across an inductor in an LRC circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the inductor is responding to the changing current. This information can be used to design and optimize circuits for specific applications.