LR Circuit: Book Mistake or Misunderstanding?

In summary, the ratio of inductor's self-induced emf (E(L)) to battery's emf (E(bat)) at t = 2τ is approximately 0.865. However, the book's answer of 0.135 may be correct if the equation for current decay is used instead of the equation for current rise. This may be due to a mistake in the book or a misunderstanding of the situation.
kahwawashay1
problem: switch of LR circuit is closed at time = 0; what is ratio of inductor's self-induced emf ( E(L) ) to battery's emf ( E(bat) ) at t = 2τ?

my solution:
switch is closed so current begins to build up according to equation:
i = (E(bat)/R) (1-e^(-t/τ) )
multiplying R on both sides and plugging in for t = 2τ:
E(L) = E(bat) (1-e^(-2) )

E(L) / E(bat) = 1-e^(-2) ≈ 0.865

But my book says the answer is 0.135, which is just the value of e^(-2), which you would obtain if you used the equation for current decay

i = (E(bat)/R) (e^(-t/τ))

instead of the equation for current rise. But the current in this case is clearly rising. So is my book wrong or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
R*I is not the voltage across the inductor, it's the voltage across the resistor...

Related to LR Circuit: Book Mistake or Misunderstanding?

1. What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both inductance (L) and resistance (R). It is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. What is the purpose of an LR circuit?

The purpose of an LR circuit is to store and release energy in the form of an electrical current. The inductor in the circuit stores energy in its magnetic field, and the resistor dissipates this energy as heat.

3. What is the difference between an LR circuit and an RC circuit?

An LR circuit contains an inductor and a resistor, while an RC circuit contains a capacitor and a resistor. The main difference is that an inductor stores energy in its magnetic field, while a capacitor stores energy in its electric field.

4. What is the time constant of an LR circuit?

The time constant of an LR circuit is the amount of time it takes for the current in the circuit to reach 63.2% of its maximum value. It is calculated by multiplying the inductance (L) by the resistance (R).

5. What is the "book mistake" in an LR circuit?

The "book mistake" in an LR circuit refers to a common error made in circuit analysis where the inductor is mistakenly replaced by a short circuit. This can lead to incorrect calculations and conclusions about the behavior of the circuit.